BtnClick event not firing on Page load RRS feed

• Question

• User1655374113 posted

Hello,

I am having the following code. On the Page load, btnclick method is not firing. What would be the issue ?

Protected Sub Page_Load(ByVal sender As Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles Me.Load
        AddHandler btnClick.Click, AddressOf btnClick_Click
    End Sub

Protected Sub btnClick_Click(sender As Object, e As EventArgs) Handles btnClick.Click
       lblClick.Text = "AddressOf Worked"
    End Sub

TIA

Monday, June 3, 2013 10:11 AM

Answers

• User281315223 posted

Ah.

Well typically, I don't believe that you will need to manually create your event handler using AddressOf. In my limited experience with working with Visual Basic, I have always simply used the built-in mapping from OnClick through the markup to the actual event itself.

'Notice the "Handles btnClick.Click" which is automatically performing your mapping'
    Protected Sub btnClick_Click(sender As Object, e As EventArgs) Handles btnClick.Click
    End Sub

I believe you would only need to use AddressOf if you were creating your button dynamically.

If you wanted to actually perform your Click event when your page was loaded, I believe you could just call it directly : 

Protected Sub Page_Load(ByVal sender As Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles Me.Load
           'This will call your button click event during the Page_Load event' 
           btnClick.Click(btnClick, New EventArgs())
    End Sub
    • Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Monday, June 3, 2013 11:10 AM

All replies

• User163270948 posted

Is your Page_Load method firing?

If not, check if you have AutoEventWireup="true" in the Page declaration in your .aspx file.

Monday, June 3, 2013 10:20 AM
  • User1655374113 posted

Is your Page_Load method firing?
    Yes, Its firing.

Monday, June 3, 2013 10:22 AM
  • User1316753262 posted

Hey,

Drag a new button and double click or double click on the existing button and check..

Monday, June 3, 2013 10:24 AM
  • User281315223 posted

What does the markup for your button look like? 

The code that you are currently using appears correct (by using the Address to explicitly set the event handler) but it may simply be easier to use the OnClick="BtnClick" property on your button instead.

<asp:Button ID="btnClick" runat="server" OnClick="btnClick_Click"></asp:Button>

You could also consider checking out the Properties Window from the Designer View of your form to see if the event is mapped to that function properly.

Monday, June 3, 2013 10:27 AM
  • User1655374113 posted

Drag a new button and double click or double click on the existing button and check..

Tried this one, Not working

Monday, June 3, 2013 10:36 AM
  • User1655374113 posted

<asp:Button ID="btnClick" runat="server" OnClick="btnClick_Click"></asp:Button>

Tried this one too. No luck
    see if the event is mapped to that function properly.

Can you please explain more on how to check this mapping.

Monday, June 3, 2013 10:37 AM
  • User281315223 posted

It looks like that is basically all that you would need. 

Could you post the rest of the markup that you are using (or whatever you are using currently)?

Monday, June 3, 2013 10:54 AM
  • User1655374113 posted

Could you post the rest of the markup that you are using (or whatever you are using currently)?

Hi, my markup is very simple. I am just trying to understand the use of AddressOf operator at higher level.

Here is my marup.

<asp:Button runat="server" Text="Click" ID="btnClick" OnClick="btnClick_Click" />
                            <asp:Label runat="server" Text="" ID="lblClick"></asp:Label>
       AddHandler btnClick.Click, AddressOf btnClick_Click
      End Sub

End Sub

Monday, June 3, 2013 11:02 AM
  • User281315223 posted

Ah.

Well typically, I don't believe that you will need to manually create your event handler using AddressOf. In my limited experience with working with Visual Basic, I have always simply used the built-in mapping from OnClick through the markup to the actual event itself.

'Notice the "Handles btnClick.Click" which is automatically performing your mapping'
    End Sub

I believe you would only need to use AddressOf if you were creating your button dynamically.

If you wanted to actually perform your Click event when your page was loaded, I believe you could just call it directly : 

'This will call your button click event during the Page_Load event' 
           btnClick.Click(btnClick, New EventArgs())
    End Sub
    • Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Monday, June 3, 2013 11:10 AM
  • User1655374113 posted

I am going through this example 

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/y72ewk2b.aspx

Monday, June 3, 2013 11:22 AM