ASP.NET advanced routing RRS feed

• Question

• User-1496281956 posted

I can't seem to get advanced routing working in ASP.NET Web Pages I am trying to have two routes a page so it saves me time writing a lot of code.

Basically one url will be article/year/month/name

and another url will be /name (Just a pagename like termsofuse etc)

Both will be mapped to the same physical file on disk.

The other route will be archive and label.

I want the URL to be archive/year/month

and the other one to be /lablel/id

Both mapped to the same physical file, however I cannot get this to work! Been here all day and it really sucks, I have got the archieve and article working, but th other two shorter URLS do not work.

Here are the routes.

//labels
    RouteTable.Routes.MapWebPageRoute("{category}/{pYear}/{pMonth}", "~/views/archive.cshtml", new{category=-1,pYear=-1, pMonth=-1});

//normal pages.
    RouteTable.Routes.MapWebPageRoute("{PageName}", "~/views/article.cshtml", new {PageId=-1,
    PageYear=-1, PageMonth=-1, PageName=-1,});

//articles
    RouteTable.Routes.MapWebPageRoute("article/{PageId}/{PageYear}/{PageMonth}/{PageName}", "~/views/article.cshtml", new {PageId=-1,

The primary error I get is the notorious.....OBJECT REFERENCE NOT SET TO AN INSTANCE OF AN OBJECT..

Friday, May 31, 2013 5:02 PM

Answers

• User-821857111 posted

What version of the route handler package are you using? 0.2 included a null ref bug fix. 

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Saturday, June 1, 2013 3:02 PM

All replies

• User-821857111 posted

Try changing the order:

//articles
    RouteTable.Routes.MapWebPageRoute("article/{PageId}/{PageYear}/{PageMonth}/{PageName}", "~/views/article.cshtml", new {PageId=-1,
    //normal pages.
    RouteTable.Routes.MapWebPageRoute("{PageName}", "~/views/article.cshtml", new {PageId=-1,
    //labels
    RouteTable.Routes.MapWebPageRoute("{category}/{pYear}/{pMonth}", "~/views/archive.cshtml", new{category=-1,pYear=-1, pMonth=-1});

Saturday, June 1, 2013 4:06 AM
  • User-1496281956 posted

How come it has to go in a specific order, and how do you know the order it should go in?

Saturday, June 1, 2013 6:10 AM
  • User-821857111 posted

URLs are matched to routes in the order in which the routes are added. As soon as a match is made, no other routes are tested. Your "labels" route matches any one, two or three segment URL because you provide default values for each parameter. If you did not provide defaults, only three segment URLs would match. You need to add the most specific routes first otherwise your parameters-only routes with default values start to act like a catch-all.

Saturday, June 1, 2013 6:43 AM
  • User-1496281956 posted

Right ok, only one route does not work I fixed the rest. The order is article > page (single) > labels > archive.

The label route does not work.

//labels
    RouteTable.Routes.MapWebPageRoute("{category}/{Label}", "~/views/archive.cshtml");

//archive
    RouteTable.Routes.MapWebPageRoute("{category}/{pYear}/{pMonth}", "~/views/archive.cshtml", new{label=-1});

The archive route only works when label is set to -1 I don't know why. 

Saturday, June 1, 2013 9:13 AM
  • User-821857111 posted

What do you mean by "doesn't work"?

Saturday, June 1, 2013 12:49 PM
  • User-1496281956 posted

Sorry I mean it givees this error:

Object reference not set to an instance of an object.

It points to line 57 in webpagesroutehandler.cs 

The rest of the routes work fine.

Saturday, June 1, 2013 1:21 PM
  • User-821857111 posted

What version of the route handler package are you using? 0.2 included a null ref bug fix. 

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Saturday, June 1, 2013 3:02 PM
  • User-1496281956 posted

How do I find out the version?

Saturday, June 1, 2013 3:05 PM
  • User-1496281956 posted

OK never mind updated it to 0.2 and yay it works, cheers Mike

Saturday, June 1, 2013 3:08 PM