Project Architecture Layer General RRS feed

• Question

•  

hi

what is the best way & approach to choose the architecture for

Window Application

Web Application

Mobile Device

i have window based product, which i need to restrict only for 10 user and it should not work more then 10 user, how the things should be done, wat kind of architecture i need to approch to this solutions

can any have a idea, please explain me breifly wat should be done

kinds regards

Thursday, December 27, 2007 4:43 AM

Answers

• Dear Syed,

Following can be considered as a proposed solution:

1. More that 10 users should not be able to login to the application:

In a client-server application make it mandatory for the user to login to the application. Logon to the application means the user should be validated against the server and it's information should be saved at the server till the user's session is alive. In this way you will be able to keep track of each live session and if the user sessions exceed a number, such as 10 in your case, then dont allow the user to login i.e. reflect back a "Session Failed" message. Thus at any moment their will be at max 10 live(or active) sessions, thus catering the requirement of max 10 users.

2. More that 10 users should not be able to install the application:

As per my understanding, we can not restrict the user to have only 10 installations. Instead what you can do is, allow the user to install the application. Once the application is installed, it (i.e. the application) should ask for a registration key, which can be obtained from your company website or by personally calling your help desk. The application should not work till we supply a registration key. The help desk/company web site can monitor the number of registration keys given to a particular customer. If the customer installation exceeds 10, then dont provide the key, thus automatically disabling the application. In this way we can monitor the number of installations happening at the customer side and also restricting it to a required number i.e. 10 in your case.

Regards,

Sandeep A

----------------------------------------------------------------------

[Mark appropriate post(s) as Answer(s)]

Thursday, December 27, 2007 11:21 AM

All replies

• Dear SYED,

The decision of what architecture to follow depends on various factors such as:

1. Application base (i.e. Client-Server, Standalone etc).
    2. Communication mechanism to use (internet/intranet).
    3. Performance requirements.
    4. Data requirements.
    5. Security requirements.
    6. Deployment requirements.
    7. Usability requirements.

Depending of these factors we have to decide a best suited approach. For example, if you want to build an application that should cater only 10 user at a time and it will be used in an intranet environment, the roughly you can use .NET remoting with a n-tier architecture.

Regards,

Sandeep A

Thursday, December 27, 2007 10:13 AM
  •  

Hi sandeep

Thank yaar

aa i agreed on, but the user restrict is depend, only the intranet based application it may also be window application like commerical product, it should not allow to install more that 10 machine, if u trust to install in 11th machine, it should not allow to install the product,

but how to we restrict in both scanerio wheather [Intranet based application or window based application]

sandeep can u please drill down more details or provide some reference link i think i would be better for me to understand better the algorithm

kinds regards

syedhanif

Thursday, December 27, 2007 10:21 AM
  •  

Dear SYED,

You want to design an application that should not allow more than 10 simultaneous users or you want that the application should not be installed on more than 10 machines ?

First is an app design issue where as the second is related to packaging. Please clarify the requirements.

Regards,

Sandeep A

Thursday, December 27, 2007 10:41 AM
  •  

Dear Sandeep A

Both Yaar, App design issue & related to packaging

it need both solutions yaar, becoz parellel i was doing 2 project

one with Window app & another is Web Based portal

it need solutions for both the requirement

kinds regards

Thursday, December 27, 2007 10:45 AM
  • Dear Syed,

Following can be considered as a proposed solution:

1. More that 10 users should not be able to login to the application:

In a client-server application make it mandatory for the user to login to the application. Logon to the application means the user should be validated against the server and it's information should be saved at the server till the user's session is alive. In this way you will be able to keep track of each live session and if the user sessions exceed a number, such as 10 in your case, then dont allow the user to login i.e. reflect back a "Session Failed" message. Thus at any moment their will be at max 10 live(or active) sessions, thus catering the requirement of max 10 users.

2. More that 10 users should not be able to install the application:

As per my understanding, we can not restrict the user to have only 10 installations. Instead what you can do is, allow the user to install the application. Once the application is installed, it (i.e. the application) should ask for a registration key, which can be obtained from your company website or by personally calling your help desk. The application should not work till we supply a registration key. The help desk/company web site can monitor the number of registration keys given to a particular customer. If the customer installation exceeds 10, then dont provide the key, thus automatically disabling the application. In this way we can monitor the number of installations happening at the customer side and also restricting it to a required number i.e. 10 in your case.

Regards,

Sandeep A

Thursday, December 27, 2007 11:21 AM
  •  

Dear Sandeep

2. Point is excellent a i can do this, and we have program called activation key which will ask for to generate the activation key on evey installation

1. Point can i have a few sampel of code where i can look in to it....

kinds regards

Thursday, December 27, 2007 11:27 AM
  • Dear Syed,

Regarding the code samples, you will have to create your own depending on your requirements. Also please mark the appropriate post as Helpfull/ Answer, so that others can view the forum and can get some help out.

Regards,

Sandeep A

Thursday, December 27, 2007 11:54 AM