How to compile win CE 6.0 on Visual Studio 2008 or 2012 RRS feed

• Question

• How do I configure Visual Studio 2008 to compile and link for CE 6.0, using C++ and Win32 API calls?

Can I configure Visual Studio 2012 to compile and link for CE 6.0, using C++ and Win32 API calls?

I am trying to compile for a CE 6.0 device.  I was told I needed to use Visual Studio 2008, that 2012 would not work.  It seems to me this would be a configuration issue, where to find headers, included code, and where to find the libraries for the linker.  While I understand these concepts very well, I have not been able to find out how to tell Visual Studio, either 2012 or 2008, were to find and use these resources.

The Honeywell SDK would not install on Win7 with VS 2008, which was the recommended configuration.  They did provide the lxeapi.h and lxeapi.lib files, however, which I assume should be enough, if I was able to configure Visual Studio to use them, and only these resources.

I have spent more than a week trying to find documentation and resolve this issue.  Microsoft gets very low marks on documentation.  This type of configuration should not be this difficult.

Sunday, September 22, 2013 4:45 PM

Answers

• Officially VS2012 does not support application development for CE 6.0.

If you have header files and library file,then in the VS2008, libraries names are added in the following dialog,

Project Menu-->Properties-->Configuration Properties-->Linker-->Input-->Additional Dependencies

Path for the library is added in the below option,

Project Menu-->Properties-->Configuration Properties-->Linker-->general-->Additional Library Directories

Regards,

Prabu [eMVP]

My Blog

Please mark it as answer or vote as helpful if my reply helps.

• Proposed as answer by Paul G. Tobey Wednesday, September 25, 2013 4:58 PM
    • Marked as answer by GBear-BD Wednesday, December 11, 2013 5:34 PM
    Monday, September 23, 2013 2:33 PM

All replies

• Officially VS2012 does not support application development for CE 6.0.

If you have header files and library file,then in the VS2008, libraries names are added in the following dialog,

Project Menu-->Properties-->Configuration Properties-->Linker-->Input-->Additional Dependencies

Path for the library is added in the below option,

Project Menu-->Properties-->Configuration Properties-->Linker-->general-->Additional Library Directories

Regards,

Prabu [eMVP]

My Blog

Please mark it as answer or vote as helpful if my reply helps.

• Proposed as answer by Paul G. Tobey Wednesday, September 25, 2013 4:58 PM
    • Marked as answer by GBear-BD Wednesday, December 11, 2013 5:34 PM
    Monday, September 23, 2013 2:33 PM
  • Thanks much Prabu,
    Monday, September 23, 2013 3:55 PM
  • Dear Prabu:

Thanks for the Answer, it is much appreciated.

I've been reading your blog.  Perhaps you can help me with another question.

I'm creating a win CE 6.0 app.  I started with the Win32 stub project.  I compiled, linked, deployed and ran as expected.  I then pasted code into the .cpp file.  Now is has an unresolved external for wmain as if it has been converted to a console app.  I never changed the WinMain function header.

Where do I look to solve this problem?

Any suggestions?

Thanks much in advance,

GBear

Wednesday, December 11, 2013 5:38 PM