none
Office Javascript API - calls to requiredAttendees.getAsync do not retrieve elements of type room RRS feed

• Question

• Hi there,

I have tried to use the requiredAttendees.getAsync call to retrieve what's in the To field of a meeting.

I noticed the following behavior:

1. If the call is made from Office 2016 for Windows:

- if a room is filled in the To field, it will not be returned

- if an external user or user is filled in the To field, it is returned correctly

2. If the call is made from Office Online (web browser):

- the call returns the correct results for room/externalUser/user

Looking into the source code of outlook-win32-16.00.js (debug version), I've noticed that the call is handled by:

RichClientHostController.prototype.execute=function(id, params, callback)
    {
    window.external.Execute(id,params,callback)
    };

Can someone please explain if this is some sort of a bug and if there is a possible workaround?

Thanks in advance,

Friday, April 1, 2016 11:52 AM

All replies

• Hi Razvan,

I am trying to reproduce this issue however failed. Both the Outlook 2016 for Windows and Outlook online doesn't return the meeting room recipient via the requiredAttendees.getAsync.

Did you want to get location of the meeting? If I understood correctly, we can use the Office.context.mailbox.item.location to achieve the goal.

Hope it is helpful.

Regards & Fei

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Monday, April 4, 2016 6:55 AM
  • Hi Fei,

Thank you for answering. I am trying to get the required Attendees (the To field in Outlook Desktop 2016).

If the addresses filled there are regular user addresses (even addresses that are not in the domain), it retrieves them correctly. 

If the addresses are room resources, then it does not get them in the returned array. This behavior is only in desktop version. On Web App (browser), it gets them correctly.

I am using the Office.context.mailbox.item.requiredAttendees.getAsync.

Are you saying that I should use the call from location? That would be painful, as location result is represented as a comma separated string and I should do names matching. Needless to say it is not reliable. I would expect the call on requiredAttendees to work also for rooms.

I really need this feature to work, could you advise what to do/try?

Many thanks,

Razvan

Monday, April 4, 2016 7:26 AM
  • Hi Razvan,

Thanks for the detail explanation. 

>>If the addresses are room resources, then it does not get them in the returned array. This behavior is only in desktop version. On Web App (browser), it gets them correctly.

I am still not able to reproduce this issue. Here are my test:
    1. Not able to get the room resources via requiredAttendees.getAsync if the room was add by manually no mather from Outlook 2016 client or Outlook online.

2. If I add the room on Outlook online via requiredAttendees.addAsync, I could get the room via the requiredAttendees in both Outlook 2016 and Outlook online.

>>Are you saying that I should use the call from location? That would be painful, as location result is represented as a comma separated string and I should do names matching. Needless to say it is not reliable. I would expect the call on requiredAttendees to work also for rooms.

Did you mean that you add the multiple rooms for one meeting and want to get the mail address of the room? Based on my understanding, we can use the location property to get the location of the appointment.

And if you have any feedback about about Mail add-in, you can try to submit the feedback from link below:
    https://officespdev.uservoice.com/

Regards & Fei

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.

Tuesday, April 5, 2016 12:17 PM
  • Hi Fei,

>> 1. Not able to get the room resources via requiredAttendees.getAsync if the room was add by manually no mather from Outlook 2016 client or Outlook online.

Indeed, it only works in Web app if you ADD the room using the 'Add people' control. It works because in this case it considers the room to be a normal user.

>> 2. If I add the room on Outlook online via requiredAttendees.addAsync, I could get the room via the requiredAttendees in both Outlook 2016 and Outlook online.

That is strange, I mean it does not work no Outlook 2016. I am doing an addAsync (room1) followed by a getAsync(). The getAsync() call retrieves the organizer, not room1. Please check that you were adding a room resource, not a regular user address.

Regards,

Tuesday, April 5, 2016 12:36 PM
  • I have added my review of the three methods exposed for the requiredAttendees object, both for Outlook 2016 (desktop) and Web app (Web). I cannot post images yet, so I've uploaded to the following link:

http://s17.postimg.org/satnvyrz3/Required_Attendees_Calls_Behavior.png

Regards,

Tuesday, April 5, 2016 12:54 PM
  • Hi Razvan,

Thanks for the detail summarization for this issue.

>>That is strange, I mean it does not work no Outlook 2016. I am doing an addAsync (room1) followed by a getAsync(). The getAsync() call retrieves the organizer, not room1. Please check that you were adding a room resource, not a regular user address.

After I add a room resource, I am able to reproduce this issue too.  Since this issue is complex, I'm trying to involve some senior engineers into this issue and it will take some time. Your patience will be greatly appreciated.

Sorry for any inconvenience and have a nice day!

Regards & Fei

Wednesday, April 6, 2016 5:14 AM
  • Thanks Fei,

I will keep track here on any progress. I have a great deal of urgency in this matter, but I can only wait. Please let me know when there is any change. 

Regards,

Wednesday, April 6, 2016 5:59 AM
  • Fei,

Is there a place to track these issues, where I could get read access or something?

Regards,

Wednesday, April 6, 2016 10:16 AM
  • Hi Razvan,

>>Is there a place to track these issues, where I could get read access or something?

There is no public place to track this issue since the reporting progress is internal channel. And to fix this issue as soon as possible, I also suggest that you contact the Office developer team directly using the link below:
    https://officespdev.uservoice.com/

Thanks for your understanding.

Regards & Fei

Thursday, April 7, 2016 1:21 AM
  • Hi,

Are there any updates for this issue? I'm facing the same problem.

Wednesday, February 22, 2017 12:37 PM
  • Hi,

I have the same exact problem : outlook for desktop counting email room attendees not as attendees but as location.

Is there any progress on the subject ?

Thank you in advance.

Tuesday, January 29, 2019 2:55 PM