How to do a performance logging session on a clients device

Question

• On some of my clients devices the app takes 30 secs to start (with extended splashscreen), on all my devices only about 5 secs.

I would like to perform some measurements using the profiling API available to WinJS/HTML apps. How can I start a trace of those events on the client machine and how can I later analyse them?

Wednesday, December 10, 2014 9:56 PM

Answers

• I am going to use wprui.exe on the clients device and WPA to see whats going on. I have sparkled my apps code with the required markers already.
    Friday, December 12, 2014 3:20 AM

All replies

• Hi pkursawe,

I think that could be the device issue rather than the code issue since your device only use 5 seconds.

In general we can logging the App information to some file and send you back only if your users agree to do so.

Looks like all the profile tools and logging tools in WinJS are used for developing, for instance startLog function also the profile tool: http://blogs.msdn.com/b/eternalcoding/archive/2012/11/15/optimizing-javascript-windows-8-application-using-the-visual-studio-performance-analysis-tool-profiler.aspx. For the client side trace, you may need use some third party code.

--James

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Friday, December 12, 2014 3:01 AM
  • I am going to use wprui.exe on the clients device and WPA to see whats going on. I have sparkled my apps code with the required markers already.
    Friday, December 12, 2014 3:20 AM
  • Great, that's also a possibility, but you may need your customer install the WPR.

However, I'm not quite sure if we can record WinJS, there is a option for XAML app which stands for Windows Store App XAML app, but I cannot see WinJS app, only HTML responsiveness list there, not sure if this includes Windows Store App HTML/WinJS app.

--James

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Friday, December 12, 2014 5:55 AM