none
Problem while creating milestone task using PSI. RRS feed

• Question

• Good day.

I have Project Server 2007 installed.

Im trying to create new task using PSI and make it milestone.

I create new row in Task table and set fields Work(TASK_WORK) and Actual Work(TASK_ACT_WORK). Then i save project, get him again and set for new task task_is_milestone field(if i do this before save, then Work and Actual Work are set to zero).

After that i publish project.

Till this moment all is fine, in project center my task is displayed as milestone. But when i open project with MS Project 2007 my task becomes simple task(not milestone). After publish from MS Project in project center task also displayed as simple task. I dont know why but MS Project resets is_milestone value for my new task. If i set is_milestone using MS Project than all is fine.

What can be cause of this problem?

Best regards,

Chernobrivec.

Monday, January 16, 2012 1:02 PM

All replies

• I don't believe that you can have work assigned to a milestone.  The minute
    you assign work, Duration no longer equals zero.

Two options:

1) Don't assign work to a milestone.
    2) Set the milestone to a duration of .5 days (or even 1 minute) and then
    toggle the Milestone field to True.

Andrew Lavinsky [MVP] Blog: http://azlav.umtblog.com Twitter: @alavinsky
    Monday, January 16, 2012 1:34 PM
  • Good day.

Thank you for your answer.

Milestone does not need to have duration equal to zero.

Yes, im doing now like you said - first assign work, than set milestone to true.

It is possible to assign work to task and make it milestone using MS Project and it works fine.

Best regards,

Chernobrivec.

Monday, January 16, 2012 4:15 PM
  • Good day.

I have noticed, that even if i create task using MS Project, assign work, and then change milestone using psi, it's not working either.

Best regards, Chernobrivets
    Thursday, January 19, 2012 3:34 PM
  • Good day.

Some more infromation - if i create task without setting work and actual work and then set milestone flag all works fine.

Another strange behavior - if i create task and assign work for it using MS Project all works fine. But if after that i create task with assigned work using psi(even not setting milestone), then all milestone tasks with assigned work(even those created using MS project) are reseted to simple task. 

Best regards, Chernobrivets
    Friday, January 20, 2012 12:04 PM