Unfortunately, appname has stopped RRS feed

• Question

• User26399 posted

I think i am going mad, but can anyone confirm if this is 'normal' or not?

If I have an unhanded exception, I get the usual 'Unfortunately, appname has stopped' message, and the current activity closes, but in a multi activity app, the underlying backgrounded activities remain active. Is that suppose to be the case, as I had assumed the whole app had stopped, not just the foreground activity. What is more, it looks more like (but can't say for sure), that the app had restarted but resumed at the same point (unlikely) or at least static members had been recreated, as certain classes that are only created once on startup, seem to have reset their values. All of this means, once i have one unhanded exception, what is left of the app remains totally unstable, and crashes one activity at a time (literally a click event with no actual code to run is enough to crash again), until it eventually closes all activities, and the app finally closes itself by default as their are no more backgrounded activities. Is this right, as it doesn't sound like this should be??

Tuesday, August 21, 2018 2:06 PM

All replies

• User364855 posted

@JohnRowse

Is that suppose to be the case, as I had assumed the whole app had stopped, not just the foreground activity. Generally, the whole app will stop. I'm not sure what's going on with your app. Could you share your project? Please check the following link for more information: https://drfone.wondershare.com/android-issue/unfortunately-app-has-stopped.html

Thursday, August 23, 2018 8:30 AM
  • User26399 posted

@BillyLiu

The same project i uploaded for an overlapping issue, is valid for this one (except the cascading crashes on underlying activities is not present- that is a separate issue related to reliance on a static class that is only initiated on startup, and me not checking).

https://forums.xamarin.com/discussion/137040/try-catch-not-working-as-expected-on-initial-load-of-activity#latest

In the example there is a 'crash' button in Activity 2. It will fire an unhandled exception in Activity 2. If the whole app crashes, we should end up outside the app. Instead, it returns to Activity 1.

Thursday, August 23, 2018 8:49 AM