Metro Style Desktop apps (third kind of app in Win8)

Answers

• Hi Paul,

Metro style enabled desktop browsers are not applicable to general applications. Only the user's chosen browser can make use of this functionality: you'll notice that IE loses it's Metro style tile and capabilities if you choose a different default browser.

The whitepaper that you link to is the documentation on how to implement that. If you are writing a browser and have specific implementation questions then please feel free to ask.

--Rob

Saturday, March 10, 2012 5:53 PM
    Owner

All replies

• Hi Paul,

Metro style enabled desktop browsers are not applicable to general applications. Only the user's chosen browser can make use of this functionality: you'll notice that IE loses it's Metro style tile and capabilities if you choose a different default browser.

The whitepaper that you link to is the documentation on how to implement that. If you are writing a browser and have specific implementation questions then please feel free to ask.

--Rob

Saturday, March 10, 2012 5:53 PM
    Owner
  • Hi Rob,

thanks for the clarification. No, I am not interested in Browser development :)

I had hoped this could also apply to other type of apps (online banking, LOB, etc.) beside Browsers - which would have been a great. Basically, I want create a C++/Cx application with a touch frontend (metro) and a desktop version.

Maybe for the next Version of Windows... until then we have to stick with WTL/GDI :-(

On a side-note: Will this affect applications that use the WebView in there apps? Will this open the gate to 3rd Party Gecko/Webkit based WebViews?

- Paul

Saturday, March 10, 2012 11:27 PM