How to creat two or more applicatioins on one VISTA desktop RRS feed

• Question

• In Windows XP system, end-user is very easy excute tow or more applications on one XP desktop, but why we can not creat two or more applicatioins on one VISTA desktop? Does anybody know how to solve this issue?
    Friday, February 9, 2007 9:01 AM

All replies

• Do you have specific examples? I can start as many instances of notepad (or calc, or cmd.exe) as I want.

Friday, February 9, 2007 10:26 PM
  • Thanks your reply, I can use "RunAS" this function to run two or more Skypes in Windows XP, but I can not use that way to run two or more Skypes in Windows VISTA. Could you tell me, which way or skills you can do it. Thank very much!
    Saturday, February 10, 2007 5:14 AM
  • I assume this is an application that supports some form of single instancing.
    In other words, if you start it twice from the Start menu, only one instance remains (the second instance notices the first one and terminates itself).

On XP, you used right-click->runas... to workaround the single instancing.
    Did you use the same username\password as was used at logon? I guess not.

And now, on Vista, right-click->run as administrator does *not* work as a workaround.
    You never get to enter alternate credentials.

How close (or far) am I?

Saturday, February 10, 2007 10:19 PM
  • Hi,Eric Perlin

Thanks your reply. You got I mean correctly,

"on Vista, right-click->run as administrator does work as a workaround.
    You never get to enter alternate credentials."

I don't know why Vista can not support run as to excute the application(Skype). Do you know what way or solution can solve this issue ?

Monday, February 12, 2007 8:38 AM
  • There was a typo in my previos reply (which I just edited).
    I meant:
    "on Vista, right-click->run as administrator does *not* work as a workaround.
    You never get to enter alternate credentials."

XP right-click->runas... meant start an application as an alternate user.
    It was meant mostly for administrators, to start an app with administrative privileges on the logged on user's desktop.
    You always had to enter alternate credentials.

Vista right-click->runas administrator is quite different.
    If the logged on user is already an administrator (the rules are actually more complicated), by default, only a consent is requested. With UAC, the shell runs as if the logged on user was a standard user. This action is required to start administrative applications.
    The old XP right-click->runas is not available anymore...

But you can workaround this (assuming skype works properly as non administrator) by typing this anywhere a command line works (for example from the WindowsKey+Run box):
    runas /u:<username> <path to skype>
    This is the command line equivalent to the old XP right-click->runas

Tuesday, February 13, 2007 12:20 AM