downloaded plugin unzip where RRS feed

• Question

• Title says it all.  To whence do I unzip this plug-in? (I'd also appreciate knowing whether an installed PLUG-in will then show up on EW tools/ADD-ins.  Simple yes or no would be fine with me.)

So this zipped folder is perched on my desktop, where I downloaded it, just begging to be unzipped.  If it needs to go someplace exotic, would you try giving me a make-believe folder location (as in: C:\program files (x86)\microsoft expression\web 4\  (inside of which are lots of weird folders ... bots bin schemas botstyle setup and one named just plain old "en"

In case it matters, it's a plugin for a slide show, I found mentioned here in one of your old threads -- jquery.cycle

Annette

(btw, if I got those slashes backward in that pretend file location, I'm sorry.)

• Edited by Annette M Thursday, August 19, 2010 9:23 PM Added note
    Thursday, August 19, 2010 9:20 PM

All replies

• It doesn't matter where you unzip it, you'll be prompted for the location when you install it in EW. I put all mine in the same folder in MyDocuments for ease.

This may help if you are unsure. http://ew-resource.co.uk/v4addins-install.aspx

Ian Haynes

EW V4 Add-Ins
    EW resources, hints and tips
    • Edited by Ian Haynes Thursday, August 19, 2010 9:26 PM
    Thursday, August 19, 2010 9:25 PM
  • I believe that's a jQuery plug-in, not a EW4 add-in. Entirely different critter.

Jim

Thursday, August 19, 2010 9:36 PM
  • HI Ian, I down loaded all of your Add-Inns sometimes ago. I could not find the original thread to say- thank you.  They are time saving and interesting too.
    Thursday, August 19, 2010 9:52 PM
  • Aha.  That explains that carefully following the instructions at that link Ian sent me to feell flat.  The instructions told me to select the xadd file, but I ain't got nuthin' like that in my folder ...

(thank you, btw for your help, Ian!)

I extracted the zipped files into a folder on my desktop.  If I drag that folder into my website and publish and give you a link to my directory (I'm probably saying this all wrong), would it help you answer this one question: 

Does that folder hold everything I'd need to make this work?  There are really clear intructions on the site I got the plug-in from, and I can follow them step-by-step, but I just want to know if there's something else I'll need.

Thanks!

Annette :)

Thursday, August 19, 2010 9:57 PM
  • This jQuery plug-in is unrelated to Expression Web add-ins. Your best bet is to check http://jquery.malsup.com/cycle/ for any documentation and then get assistance via the jQuery forum as per the readme.

Jim

Thursday, August 19, 2010 11:02 PM
  • What Jim... er, the Jims said. jQuery is a general-purpose javascript framework, not tied to any Web development program. It is usable in EW, Dreamweaver, or any editor, including Notepad, since the framework (and the plugin, if applicable) is included by reference, and the plugin parameters, if a plugin is in use, are set in code, usually within the document where it is employed.

It is not an add-in to EW or anything else (although VS now has in-built jQuery support). You might want to Google "jQuery" and "jQuery plugin" to get a better idea of what you will be dealing with before you get too far along.

cheers,
    scott

C'mon, folks. This isn't rocket science, nor neurosurgery. It's "Expression" (singular) "Web" (singular), in that order, followed by a version numeral if you wish to be specific. It is often abbreviated "EW." It is not "Web Expression," "Expressions Web," "Web Expressions," or plain "Expression" or "Expressions." Not using the correct name indicates either ignorance or laziness. Most folks would rather avoid the appearance of either.
    Thursday, August 19, 2010 11:33 PM
  • Thanks, Jim.  I'd entered the jquery site through a back-door, and didn't find the forum.  Now that you've pointed it out, I see it -- right in the readme file. 

[slapping self on wrist for not reading the readme file.]

THANK YOU.

When I initially got to their site, I saw something called "chatter" going on in the top right corner of some of the pages, and assumed that was their forum.  Looked way too twitter-like to me, and at my old age, I don't twitter.  ;) 

So, I trolled around their site looking to learn more, but when I got to stuff like:  "... they can be overridden by passing an options object to the cycle method ..."  my eyes started glazing over   ;)

Thanks!  Anxious to see this work. 

Annette :)

Thursday, August 19, 2010 11:33 PM