none
Windows XP Embedded Image - Cant see CF Card Partition RRS feed

• Question

• This is regarding a Windows XP embedded that I need to clone a  Compact Flash Card and and use it in another display UNIT.

Basically, i have a working CF - Compact Flash Card in a display unit. I used Power ISO, Win32 disk Imager, USB Image tool. All of these tools to create an image of this CF card. An image was created. Basically  these displays run on Windows XP embedded and has another software of the elevator which is running inside this Windows XP Embedded system.

I have cloned the CF card, and it booted well on the cloned CF card - but I have problem.

The CF card has two partitions - C: and D:

If the software for the display has to run, a program is present which needs to be run from the D:.

But after cloning only C drive is shown when the cloned disk is put and the D: partition is not shown.

How can I enable the D: partition to be shown

I opened up the image through Power ISO but on opening I get two - Primary FAT16 and the other is Extended FAT32. How can I copy both of these into a single CF card. On Cloning this image file to the CF card using Power ISO - it does ask me which one do you want to copy is it the Primary FAT16 or Extended FAT32.

While I opened the Extended FAT 32 - it has the important files for installation.

Since I am beginner, I could use some help in solving this.

I don't know what I am doing wrong, because after cloning of the CF card the Windows XP embedded starts up, but the on check "My computer" the extended partition is not available and also the software doesn't auto start at all - in which the display shows a normal windows screen.

Could someone help me in cloning the CF card, so that it boots Windows XP embedded and also the software too. The CF card has two partitions which I do not know how to make the second partition D: active

Friday, August 19, 2016 4:04 PM

All replies

• This is an old issue with regards to removable devices on Windows. CF cards are generally ID as removable devices. Windows can only access a single partition on a removable device. If you want two partitions on a CF card, you need to get an industrial grade flash disk that is ID as fixed. WinSystems (http://www.winsystems.com/product/cf-dc-a-xxg-i/), Transcend, and Delkin offer industrial grade flash disks that are ID as fixed drivers.

This forum is for POS Ready OS. I will move the to the Windows XP Forum

Sean Liming - Book Author: Starter Guide SIM (WEI), Pro Guide to WE8S & WES 7, Pro Guide to POS for .NET - www.annabooks.com / www.seanliming.com

Friday, August 19, 2016 4:54 PM
  • The same CF card was used in the system and was working fine. The clone image was cloned on the same disk, but after cloning it, the Windows XP embedded doesnt show the D drive or the partition at all.

The partition is being shown while I use Ubuntu OR Disk Internals research.

Friday, August 19, 2016 5:42 PM
  • What is the make and model of the CF card?

Maybe something went wrong with the cloning process. Seeing the partition in Linux is possible because Linux doesn't have this restriction.

Sean Liming - Book Author: Starter Guide SIM (WEI), Pro Guide to WE8S & WES 7, Pro Guide to POS for .NET - www.annabooks.com / www.seanliming.com

Friday, August 19, 2016 9:49 PM
  • Its Sandisk Extreme III , Compact Flash , 2GB card , 20 MB/s

Sunday, August 21, 2016 6:12 PM
  • SanDisk isn't the best brand for booting Windows. Sounds like this card is ID as removable. Don't know how this card could have had 2 partitions in the first place.

• Proposed as answer by Willi K Wednesday, September 7, 2016 7:55 AM
    Sunday, August 21, 2016 11:12 PM