Cannot connect with sql server RRS feed

• Question

• Hello Sir/Mam

Yesterday i installed sql server 2014 Express...But, when i started sql server management studio, an error occurs like cannot connect. I m sending u screen shot of this error.. Pls suggest me what i have to do now? 

Thursday, April 7, 2016 1:37 PM

Answers

• Hi,

I would first check SQL SERVER SERVICE is running or not.

If you remember that whether you have installed Default Instance or Name Instance.

If you have installed Name instance then you should type .\InstanceName in Server name box of the connect dialog box.

Regards,

Balwant.

Failure in Life is failure to try...

PGDCA-98(South Gujarat University),MCSA (SQL 2012) , MCTS (SQL Server 2005)

My Blog

Thursday, April 7, 2016 1:50 PM
  • From the server, try using the address:

.\SQLExpress

Don't forget to mark helpful posts, and answers. It helps others to find relevant posts to the same question. Enjoyed my post? Hit the up arrow (left)
    Really enjoyed it? See my profile!
    My Tech Net Articles.

Thursday, April 7, 2016 2:18 PM

All replies

• Hi,

I would first check SQL SERVER SERVICE is running or not.

If you remember that whether you have installed Default Instance or Name Instance.

If you have installed Name instance then you should type .\InstanceName in Server name box of the connect dialog box.

Regards,

Balwant.

Failure in Life is failure to try...

PGDCA-98(South Gujarat University),MCSA (SQL 2012) , MCTS (SQL Server 2005)

My Blog

Thursday, April 7, 2016 1:50 PM
  • From the server, try using the address:

.\SQLExpress

Don't forget to mark helpful posts, and answers. It helps others to find relevant posts to the same question. Enjoyed my post? Hit the up arrow (left)
    Really enjoyed it? See my profile!
    My Tech Net Articles.

Thursday, April 7, 2016 2:18 PM
  • Hi,

1st u need to check whether sql server service is running on your machine or not..

Go to run & type "services.msc" then it will popup 1 window there you can find sql server..

select and right click on it then click on start..

or  

try to check whether your using correct instance username and password..

you are using windows authentication or sql authentication ??

if you still facing the same issue then share the screen shot of your login window...

Thanks & Regards RAJENDRAN M

Thursday, April 7, 2016 2:41 PM
  • is it showing the following error message?

A network-related or instance-specific error occurred while establishing a
    connection to SQL Server. The server was not found or was not accessible.
    Verify that the instance name is correct and that SQL Server is configured to
    allow remote connections. (provider: Named Pipes Provider, error:40 - Could not
    open a connection to SQL Server)

Friday, April 8, 2016 5:55 AM
  • The above error is clearly showing that the problem with your login instance server name was not found....you are using windows authentication or sql authentication??? take a snap shot of your sql login window and share it so that it will be very useful to give you better solution...

Thanks & Regards RAJENDRAN M

Tuesday, April 12, 2016 9:35 AM