none
Does installing .NET 4.5 REALLY replace .NET 4.0 assemblies? RRS feed

• Question

• I am now officially confused. The MSDN article on installing the .NET 4.5 framework states the following:

"The .NET Framework 4.5 replaces the .NET Framework 4. When you install the .NET Framework 4.5 on a system that has the .NET Framework 4 installed, the assemblies are replaced."

Why then, do I find the .NET 4.0 assemblies on my file system? When I browse to "C:\Program Files (x86)\Reference Assemblies\Microsoft\Framework\.NETFramework", I find several folders, including "v3.5", "v4.0" and "v4.5" containing the DLLs for each version. What up?

This tells me that the assemblies of the .NET Framework 4 is not replaced with 4.5 at all. Can someone clarify this for me, please?

• Edited by trobox Monday, October 22, 2012 12:49 PM
    Monday, October 22, 2012 12:48 PM

Answers

• 4.5 is an in place update to 4.0, so some assemblies are updated. What you are seeing in the various folders are files needed to ensure that 4.0 apps will still run after 4.5 is installed on a system.

3.5 is a completely unrelated issue. That's part of the .NET 2.0/3.0/3.5 Framework and is unrelated to 4.0/4.5.

Monday, October 22, 2012 5:17 PM
  • 4.5 is an in place update to 4.0, so some assemblies are updated. What you are seeing in the various folders are files needed to ensure that 4.0 apps will still run after 4.5 is installed on a system.

3.5 is a completely unrelated issue. That's part of the .NET 2.0/3.0/3.5 Framework and is unrelated to 4.0/4.5.

The latest version is 4.5; however, 4.0 is the base which links to all versions to support a unified solution for apps regardless of what os is installed on the server, client side, and end user. The app becomes backwards compatible across multiple platforms.

Christine Sindelar

Tuesday, October 23, 2012 5:37 PM

All replies

Monday, October 22, 2012 5:17 PM

The latest version is 4.5; however, 4.0 is the base which links to all versions to support a unified solution for apps regardless of what os is installed on the server, client side, and end user. The app becomes backwards compatible across multiple platforms.

Christine Sindelar

Tuesday, October 23, 2012 5:37 PM
  • I'm afraid not ALL apps targeting the .Net Framework still work after 4.5 replaces 4.0.

Specifically those that use XAML WPF. I now have to update all my older apps and wait for suppliers of some apps to update theirs!

I can't understand why it had to be an in-place upgrade. Why not allow 4.0 in full and 4.5 in full as a separate target if there was such a huge rewrite?

Sunday, November 25, 2012 11:58 AM