Error 1456 while connecting to witness RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all,

I'm trying to add a WITNESS to my mirror instance.

Mirrors are using SQL2012 Standart (WIN2012r2) and the witness is SQL2012 Express (WIN7)

Trying to establish connection using certificates, all of the machines in same LAN with firewall off

I used the following server names in the mirrorring wizard 

Principal: TCP://DBP.WORKGROUP.local:5022 (mirroring didn't work without DNS suffix "local")

Mirror: TCP://DBM:5023

Witness: TCP://USER-PC:5022 (Tried also TCP://USER-PC.WORKGROUP.local and TCP://192.168.1.87:5022 (modified hosts file for this))

Always getting the "Error 1456 level 16 state 3 The ALTER DATABASE command could not be sent to the remote server instance. Verify that the server is connected and try again."

I can telnet to witness, double checked certificates and logins that they have CONNECT grant. Also re-installed all of 3 instances just in case I missed something and still same error.. 

I'm able to ping all servers by IP and FQDN, also TELNET to USER-PC:5022 working just fine.

Can anybody help with it? 

Thursday, July 9, 2020 2:04 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hi Vatikk,

Please check the following posts if help:

SQL SERVER – Mirroring Error 1456 – The ALTER DATABASE Command Could not be Sent to the Remote Server Instance

Add a Database Mirroring Witness Using Windows Authentication (Transact-SQL)

Add or Replace a Database Mirroring Witness (SQL Server Management Studio)

Best Regards,
    Cris

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

• Marked as answer by Vatikk Tuesday, July 14, 2020 8:27 AM
    Friday, July 10, 2020 3:47 AM
  • Hi Cris,

Thanks for your reply!

Unfortunately I have read this posts and no help from them. My endpoints already exist (ROLE = ALL on the mirror instances and ROLE = WITNESS on witness instance, they are also in STARTED state), and I re-installed all of them couple times so there must not be problems with sid (as mentioned in first post), and also checked CONNECT grants for all accounts. 

Friday, July 10, 2020 6:55 AM
  • Hi Vatikk,

Can you get any information from the Error log or Windows Logs?

I don't have much experience in solving such problems. I am sorry for this. Maybe you can ask professional engineer for help, and they will deal with your problem separately and confidentially.
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/assistedsupportproducts

Or let's waiting for others give some useful suggestion.

Best Regards,
    Cris

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Monday, July 13, 2020 1:45 AM
  • Hi Cris,

Thank you a lot for your replies!

Just want let you know, I got this problem solved.

The problem was in DNS suffix which was not updated (for some reason) in my witness machine. So after changing DNS suffix manually (and checking hosts-file in all machines for right IP and FQDN entries once again) connection can be established. 

Monday, July 13, 2020 6:35 AM
  • Hi Vatikk,

I am glad to hear that you have solved your problem!

In order to close this thread, please kindly mark useful replies as answers. By doing so, it will benefit all community members who are having this similar issue.  Your contribution is highly appreciated.

Thanks for your post.

Best Regards,
    Cris

MSDN Community Support

Monday, July 13, 2020 7:01 AM