Azure database and working offline RRS feed

• Question

• Lightswith for Azure has built-in functionality to work offline and then sync it to Azure database? I've clients using laptop and laptop is not always connected to the internet.

Thanks in advance

Saturday, December 29, 2012 8:21 PM

Answers

• Not out of the box, but with some creativity, things are possible.

I wrote an article about the scenario where the app can be deployed as 1. normal on line app and 2. app with local db.

A d.r.y. architecture for an occasionally connected LightSwitch client.

But... you still need a solution to sync the data between the local db and the master db. Azure might have options for this. There is also the microsoft sync framework. (see my article).

paul van bladel

• Marked as answer by Cruz2k13 Sunday, December 30, 2012 6:40 PM
    Sunday, December 30, 2012 6:36 AM

All replies

• Not out of the box, but with some creativity, things are possible.

I wrote an article about the scenario where the app can be deployed as 1. normal on line app and 2. app with local db.

A d.r.y. architecture for an occasionally connected LightSwitch client.

But... you still need a solution to sync the data between the local db and the master db. Azure might have options for this. There is also the microsoft sync framework. (see my article).

paul van bladel

• Marked as answer by Cruz2k13 Sunday, December 30, 2012 6:40 PM
    Sunday, December 30, 2012 6:36 AM
  • Hi Paul,

I read your article and the build directives is a good idea.

I developed a LS html app on tablets for my sales guys. It's great, they like it BUT they don' t use it. Why? Because contrary to what everyone thinks (or expects) there are many many places where there is just no network. So I must develop an offline mode. So I'll have two databases, one local, one offline. Stranegley, I'm not too worried about syncing (yet lol). My problem right now is how to deploy a local database to the tablets and how to indicate the LS app to use it? If you or anyone would know how to do so it would be of great help!

Tks.

François

Saturday, July 20, 2013 7:20 AM
  • Cher François,

The article was written at the time the html client wasn't an option yet. It presumed a silverlight client in out of browser mode (desktop app). It presumed also running on a windows machine because you would need a local install of sql server (express).

Html5 apps can't be deployed in "desktop" mode, also if your tablet is a non- windows machine....

Sorry, can't help you with this.

Html5 has the notion of "LocalStorage", but there is definitely no integration with lightSwitch. Haven't done any research on Html5 LocalStorage so far.

paul van bladel

Saturday, July 20, 2013 9:06 AM
  • Merci.

I'm gonna open a new discussion on the subject.

A few remarks:
    -My tablets are Windows 8.
    - I'm not looking for a desktop mode of the HTML version but I'd like the app to connect to a local db (I don't mind installing a local server to each tablet if required).

François

Saturday, July 20, 2013 9:19 AM