How do I determine the reason an app does not show up in the Windows App store? RRS feed

• Question

• Hello, I'm developing a Windows Store App, and I want to test it on different computers. I have a link to the app, but on some computers the link does not open the App page in Windows Store, but only a general start page. How can I determine the reason for this. I have checked all the named requirements: Windows 8.1, X64, 4 GB RAM, DirectX 11.

I have tested on 4 different W10 computers where it works, and on 2 different W8.1 computer where it does not work. 

The app is built on W10 with Visual Studio 2015 with the settings "Target Platform Version: Windows 8.1" and "Platform toolset: Visual Studio 2013 (v120)".                 
    • Moved by Mattew Wu Tuesday, October 17, 2017 9:58 AM publishing issue
    Monday, October 2, 2017 1:47 PM

Answers

• Hi Erik,

>Q1:

I'm sorry that currently it's not possible to do it through Windows Store. 

According to Beta testing and targeted distribution, "Specifically, none of them work for customers on Windows 8 or Windows 8.1.".

But you can generate a package for sideloading and send it as well as the certificate use to sign it to your limited users. So that they can install the app after they install and trust your certificate on their W8.1 device.

>Q2:

If you cannot find your app in Store, you might firstly check the submission status on your dashboard. If you find it already in the Store, you could contact Dev Center support through your developer account so that they can review the specific app with the info you provide.

Thank you.

Best regards,

Mattew Wu

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

• Proposed as answer by Mattew Wu Wednesday, October 4, 2017 2:52 AM
    • Marked as answer by Erik Tholen Tuesday, October 10, 2017 4:12 AM
    Wednesday, October 4, 2017 2:52 AM

All replies

• Partly answering my own question:

In the Windows store back-end (Dashboard), under "Pricing and availability" I had selected "Make this product available but not discoverable in the Store, and: Direct link only: Any customer with a direct link to the product’s listing can download it, except on Windows 8.x."

The "except on Windows 8.x" part explains the behavior I see. However, it does not seem to be possible to select anything else that will make it work on W8.1, except to make the app available for everyone.

Now I have two natural follow up questions:

1. It is possible to allow installs on W8.1 through Windows Store, but only for only a limited set of users or computers. (I don't want to make my app public before it is well tested)

2. Is there a general way to determine why an app does not show up?

Tuesday, October 3, 2017 3:45 AM
  • Hi Erik,

>Q1:

I'm sorry that currently it's not possible to do it through Windows Store. 

According to Beta testing and targeted distribution, "Specifically, none of them work for customers on Windows 8 or Windows 8.1.".

But you can generate a package for sideloading and send it as well as the certificate use to sign it to your limited users. So that they can install the app after they install and trust your certificate on their W8.1 device.

>Q2:

If you cannot find your app in Store, you might firstly check the submission status on your dashboard. If you find it already in the Store, you could contact Dev Center support through your developer account so that they can review the specific app with the info you provide.

Thank you.

Best regards,

Mattew Wu

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

• Proposed as answer by Mattew Wu Wednesday, October 4, 2017 2:52 AM
    • Marked as answer by Erik Tholen Tuesday, October 10, 2017 4:12 AM
    Wednesday, October 4, 2017 2:52 AM
  • I am not sure if it works for Win 8.1 because I tested it only on Windows 10.

In Windows Store there is functionality called Flayout packages (test packages).

To use this functionality:

1. You must registry testing device on any windows 10 account. The account must be joined with any e-mail.

2. Create a testing package for any registerd e-mail.

3. It looks that Win Store distributes such packages faster then normal packages.

Maybe it helps.

Thursday, October 5, 2017 12:58 PM