none
Set theme in Windows Server 2008 from GPO RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all,

I am not sure whether i post it to right place. If not ,please tell me the right group.

I want to set a customized theme to my windows server 2008 system for all users.

I found one solution from the link.

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/windowsserver2008r2general/thread/a11255a7-98d8-497d-812d-2e9f936a0901/

But there's one problem, how to convert .theme from .msstyles.

I enabled the "Load a specific visual style file or force Windows Classic" from [User Configuration\policies\Administrative Templates\Control Panel\Display\Desktop Themes] that the theme cannot be used as normal due to my theme file is .theme.

So how can i do?

I also tried another method.

Enable the desktop wallpaper from[User Configuration\policies\Administrative Templates\Desktop\Desktop\] , but due to the picture is too large that the desktop only can show part of them, and i also do not know how to make all the users to use the same desktop.

Thanks so much!

Br,

Fiona

Tuesday, March 6, 2012 9:34 AM

All replies

• Is there anyone who can help me?

Today i cannot set wallpaper directly from GPO and registry.

I mean if i set the wallpaper from GPO[User Configuration\policies\Administrative Templates\Desktop\Desktop\], then log off and log in again, the wallpaper cannot be showed.

I also tried to set the wallpaper from registry HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Desktop, then reboot the server, the wallpaper cannot be showed too...

I don't know why...

And after my testing, these 2 places won't impact each other ... 

Wednesday, March 7, 2012 7:03 AM
  • I found the root cause.

First, the setting in GPO could take effect.

But i used RDP to connect server, the default RDP setting disabled the wallpaper save on bandwidth/reduce latency. .

I used HP ilo to open the desktop, the setting was there.

Wednesday, March 7, 2012 8:07 AM