Metro apps do not close

Question

• OK, so someone decided it would be a great idea if Metro apps had no way to close them other than the task manager.  I am not sure why yet, but somehow this gives me the heebie-jeebies.

Does this not open the computer up to incredible amounts of vulnerabilities?  Could I not create an application which opens itself up 100 billion times and thus all 100 billion would just sit there in memory?

Sunday, October 02, 2011 4:54 AM

Answers

All replies

• On Sun, 2 Oct 2011 04:54:14 +0000, Jerry Langley III wrote:

OK, so someone decided it would be a great idea if Metro apps had no way to close them other than the task manager.? I am not sure why yet, but somehow this gives me the heebie-jeebies.

Does this not open the computer up to incredible amounts of vulnerabilities?? Could I not create an application which opens itself up 100 billion times and thus all 100 billion would just sit there in memory?

No this can't happen and there are already dozens of existing threads about
    this behaviour of Metro apps.

Paul Adare
    MVP - Identity Lifecycle Manager
    http://www.identit.ca
    As far as we know, our computer has never had an undetected error.  --
    Weisert

Sunday, October 02, 2011 4:57 AM
  • I am sorry that I have apparently offended you with my threads.  Why are you attempting to shut people down? Paul, please realize that people here may have reasons why they as members of the developer community need to get these questions out.

Sunday, October 02, 2011 5:28 AM
  • When Windows becomes low on memory it will close apps not in use.

Sunday, October 02, 2011 5:47 AM
  • I'd strongly recommend watching this session from BUILD, the way application lifecycles are managed for Metro applications is significantly different from classic Win32 applications. Understanding this is key to developing Metro applications and will also make very clear why they don't need a "close" button and won't cause the system to run out of memory whilst suspended.
    Sunday, October 02, 2011 7:35 AM
  • see my answer at http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/windowsdeveloperpreviewgeneral/thread/b44be68a-e122-4ffd-be51-085ce507dccf

Besides you cannot start multiple instances of apps (yes that includes desktop apps like NotePad) from start screen, please at least try start an app multiple times before making a claim that you can launch a million instance of your app.

The following is signature, not part of post
    Please mark the post answered your question as the answer, and mark other helpful posts as helpful, so they will appear differently to other users who are visiting your thread for the same problem.
    Visual C++ MVP
    Sunday, October 02, 2011 4:40 PM
  • I made no "claim"  I asked a question and you have answered.  Thank you.
    Sunday, October 02, 2011 5:09 PM