Getting the Personal Starter Site to function. RRS feed

• Question

• User364019092 posted

I wanted to comment because I too am having this same issue with getting the site to view accross the internet.  I have followed every step of your possible solutions and nothing.  This is indeed frustrating because it's the personal starter website that comes with web developer 2005 express edition that assures you it suppose to function.  Need some concrete input to this delimma.

Thanks for your assistance

Well, after going back into my iis manager and attempting to browse the default website I received this error message.  "Configuration Error"  Under description it give this message: An error occurred during the processing of a configuration file required to service this request.  Please review the specific error details below and modify your configuration file appropriatedly.  Also under "Source Error:" it gives Line 2 of the code in the "Web.config" file which is <configuration xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/.NetConfiguration/v2.0">.  I am not sure what this means.  HELP!! 

Monday, July 23, 2007 2:29 PM

All replies

• User593215468 posted

Well first of all can you get your website to run on your local machine? Or is your problem putting it on the web?

Well if you are having problems running locally then make sure you are using a generic Web.config that comes up when you start a new personal starter kit.

~Eric

Monday, July 23, 2007 8:41 PM
  • User364019092 posted

It will not run on the local server.  I have built additional pages (.aspx) and made it startup page and they will not run.  I have changed the version of .net framework from 1.1, 2.0 and 3.0 and that was not the problem.  I am at the end of my rope on what to do, I have also checked the security of the site and pages its not there.  HELP!!

//-Willie

Tuesday, July 24, 2007 12:28 AM
  • User593215468 posted

Well it wont work on the 1.1 Framework but it should work perfectly on 2.0 and 3.0. Well first post the exact and entire error message you are receiving. And what do you mean when you say that you "checked the security of the site and pages its not there". Whats not there? With a full error message we should be able to help you better. Which IIS are you running locally?

*Edit - Also try going to http://www.jeremywadsworth.com/ and downloading his adaption of the personal website kit because it adds a slew of features and everything you need. There are some bugs in it but I addressed a couple of them on my site, http://www.sdotcire.com, but with this kit you should be able to run it locally and if you can't then its a problem with your IIS configuration or Operating System. Simply go on his site and register so you can download the package after he confirms you and then extract it and go into Visual Web Developer and Open the folder as a New Site.

~Eric 

Tuesday, July 24, 2007 10:26 AM
  • User364019092 posted

I will check out his version and see if it works.  For your info I am running 2003 Server operating system with the IIS that installs comes with it.  The actual error message is

The page cannot be found

The page you are looking for might have been removed, had its name changed, or is temporarily unavailable.

Please try the following:

• Make sure that the Web site address displayed in the address bar of your browser is spelled and formatted correctly.
    • If you reached this page by clicking a link, contact the Web site administrator to alert them that the link is incorrectly formatted.
    • Click the Back button to try another link.

HTTP Error 404 - File or directory not found.
    Internet Information Services (IIS)

Technical Information (for support personnel)

• Go to Microsoft Product Support Services and perform a title search for the words HTTP and 404.
    • Open IIS Help, which is accessible in IIS Manager (inetmgr), and search for topics titled Web Site Setup, Common Administrative Tasks, and About Custom Error Messages.

This is the full message when I attempt to access the site from the internet.  However, it does not allow me access it with the browser in IIS, I get the same message.  This is using 2.0 ASP.net.  Also I was discussing the file security in my last message.  Thanks for your assistance.

//-Willie

Tuesday, July 24, 2007 12:21 PM
  • User593215468 posted

Are you sure your linking to the right file? That error message means that your trying to connect to a site that isn't there. Maybe your making a typo or something. Try using Visual Web Developer Express to create the personal website by going to File > New Site > Personal Website and clicking open. Then you can test it by assembling it in a browser - default is IE. This should work or at least point to an actual file and if it doesn't post that error message.

Also you said you tried accessing it thorugh the internet, how? Did you FTP it onto a server or something else? Also did you already create the site or did you just download the person starter kit and just tried to connect to it because if you have it online you need to change the web.config file so you can connect to the database and such.

~Eric

Tuesday, July 24, 2007 2:34 PM
  • User364019092 posted

Eric,

When I said that I have attempted to access the website thorough the internet, that was just that.  It was not FTP, or anything else.  It is a live website, that is hosted etc.  Ok, I have resolved my problem with connectivity across the internet.  My IIS manager was defective, so I moved everything to another Web Server.  Now it is connecting across the internet, however, there is something problematic with the login, it will not allow me login.  Now I checked security with the ASP.NET security manager and the administrator account is present.  I tried creating another account while I had connectivity across the internet and it will not allow for account creation or login.  Any suggestions...........HELP.  (www.systems-solutions.biz) is the url for the website.  I will leave it up for a moment and let you take a look see as to what could be the problem.

//-Willie

Tuesday, July 24, 2007 4:05 PM
  • User593215468 posted

Ok, so did you create SQL scripts to insert into the database or does your hoster allow you to use your own database? Because maybe you don't have the proper connection string for your database and so that would explain why your login doesn't work. Also I attempted to create a user but an error occurred which maybe because you are not properly connecting to a database or because your database is set up incorrectly. If you go into your web.config and changed your <compilation debug> from false to true I can see the error message to better help you.  So I'm guessing your database is improperly being connected to so just let me know if you can connect to your own database file or you have to use a database provided by your hosting company. I personally have to use Godaddy's database and so in this case you would need to convert the database into SQL scripts or you can use Jeremy's kit which comes with the SQL scripts.

~Eric 

Tuesday, July 24, 2007 4:21 PM
  • User364019092 posted

Eric,

Yes, I can connect to my own database or the db that came with the personal starter kit (SQL).  My web.config file is generic at this time.  Yes, it is in need of adjusting so that it look to the server that the db is residing.  Not sure how that string would look.  I haven't gotten a response from Jeremy yet.  The setting on the compilation debug is true now, you should be able to see the message.  Thanks Eric.

//-Willie

Tuesday, July 24, 2007 6:55 PM