none
activesync protocol version RRS feed

• Question

• Hello.

I'm an engineer working on activesync.

I have something to wonder about activesync versioning.

AFAIK, activesync version matches Exchange Server version.

Exchange 2003 uses activesync 12.0, Exchange 2007 uses activesync 12.1.

So...What about Exchage 2010? I couldn't find version information related to.

Wednesday, July 7, 2010 2:45 AM

Answers

• Hi,

Microsoft will give you the official information, but I'm pretty sure they want you to work off the version number (MS-ASProtocolVersion), and not to assume anything about which version of exchange you're talking to.

However, from MS-ASHTTP section 1.6, you can see the versions are 14.1, 14.0 and 12.1. You can see (from product note <1>), that exchange 2007 doesn't support 14.1 or 14.0. So its a fair bet that Exchange 2010 introduced the 14.x versions.

Also, it looks like you can work backwards (so version 12.1 is supported by exchange 2007, exchange 2010 and exchange 2010 sp1 beta). It isn't a good assumption that activesync versions and exchange versions are 1:1. In addition, different Service Packs will likely do different things.

Good luck.

Brad

Wednesday, July 7, 2010 3:54 AM
  • Brad is correct.

You can use earlier versions of the protocol, but it's always recommended to use the latest.

All of the ActiveSync Protocol Documents can be found here: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc425499(EXCHG.80).aspx

This is all of the Exchange Server Protocol documents, the ActiveSync ones begin wtih [MS-AS... AS denoting ActiveSync.

If you have any further questions in regards to the wire protocol, feel free to post again. The documentation should have everything you need, if it doesn't please inform us. We try to make sure the docs are as accurate as possible.

Dominic Salemno
    Senior Support Escalation Engineer
    US-CSS DSC Protocols Team

Wednesday, July 7, 2010 3:45 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Microsoft will give you the official information, but I'm pretty sure they want you to work off the version number (MS-ASProtocolVersion), and not to assume anything about which version of exchange you're talking to.

However, from MS-ASHTTP section 1.6, you can see the versions are 14.1, 14.0 and 12.1. You can see (from product note <1>), that exchange 2007 doesn't support 14.1 or 14.0. So its a fair bet that Exchange 2010 introduced the 14.x versions.

Also, it looks like you can work backwards (so version 12.1 is supported by exchange 2007, exchange 2010 and exchange 2010 sp1 beta). It isn't a good assumption that activesync versions and exchange versions are 1:1. In addition, different Service Packs will likely do different things.

Good luck.

Brad

Wednesday, July 7, 2010 3:54 AM
  • Brad is correct.

You can use earlier versions of the protocol, but it's always recommended to use the latest.

All of the ActiveSync Protocol Documents can be found here: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc425499(EXCHG.80).aspx

This is all of the Exchange Server Protocol documents, the ActiveSync ones begin wtih [MS-AS... AS denoting ActiveSync.

If you have any further questions in regards to the wire protocol, feel free to post again. The documentation should have everything you need, if it doesn't please inform us. We try to make sure the docs are as accurate as possible.

Dominic Salemno
    Senior Support Escalation Engineer
    US-CSS DSC Protocols Team

Wednesday, July 7, 2010 3:45 PM
  • Thanks for your answer.

I have one more thing to ask.

You said "it's always recommended to use the latest.".

But Exchange Server under 2010 such as 2003, 2007 doesn't know the commands of AS version 14.0.

As I know, activesync client should specify the AS version like "MS-ASProtocolVersion: 14.0".

If the client used AS 14.0 protocol, how the Exchange Server 2003, 2007 could know the commands of AS 14.0 protocol?

Does the server refurse the request? or is there another phase to check AS version?

Friday, July 9, 2010 1:54 AM
  • I think that should be understood as "the latest version supported by the server".

You really do need to read MS-ASHTTP for this protocol (in particular, sections 1.6, 1.7, 2.2.3 and 4.2).

Brad

Friday, July 9, 2010 10:54 AM