VS 2012 BUG RRS feed

• Question

• Hi Guys,

I opened the "QuickWatch" window in VS 2012, type the name of some string variable, and pressed ".". Intellisense seems to work fine, but when I tried to navigate in opened popup by navigation keys (Up, Down), they didn't work as they should.

Here what appears, when i press "." (intellisense works):

And here what I get when I press "Up" or "Down" Key:

Saturday, August 25, 2012 10:12 AM

Answers

• Hi GGev,

So the result you want to get is that:

We just watch “Console.”, and don’t select any selections like the screen shot 3, and then it will show the result like the screen shot 2 when we click “UP” or “Down”. Am I right?

If so, I’m afraid that it is not supported, as my understanding, the key (up and down) is used to select the selections in the watch window of the VS2012, I mean that when they showed like the picture 2, we could use “up” and “down”.

You could submit this feature request: http://visualstudio.uservoice.com/forums/121579-visual-studio. The Visual Studio product team is listening to user voice there. You can send your ideas/suggestions there and people can vote. Thanks for your understanding.

Best Regards,

Jack Zhai [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us

• Marked as answer by GGev Friday, August 31, 2012 8:39 AM
    Wednesday, August 29, 2012 3:12 AM

All replies

• Hi GGev,

Thank you for posting in the MSDN forum.

Do you mean that you could get the result like the second screen shot when you click “Up” and “Down” in the computer keyboard?

Which specific version are you using? I try to check it in the VS 2012 RC, it worked normally.  Using “.”, I could get the result like your first screen shot, but if I click the up and down key, I couldn’t get the result like the second screen shot without “.”.

Did you check it in other PC? Whether all projects have the same issue? I doubt that it is related to your VS installing, maybe you could try to repair it and check it again.

If I have misunderstood anything, please make free feel to let me know.

Best Regards,

Jack Zhai [MSFT]

Monday, August 27, 2012 9:21 AM
  • Hi Jack, 

Actually, when I press "up " and "down" keys, after pressing "." it reflects like "." wasn't pressed, namely it changes the variable in the window. 
    i.e.  when i watch "someString" in this window, and afterword I watch a "secondString":

when I press "Down", it shows the variable that was watched previously, namely "someString":

After pressing ".", it still works like that, instead of navigating by Intellisense popup.

When the first variable is being watched, pressing "down" just selects the variable .

Thanks in advance

Monday, August 27, 2012 1:25 PM
  • Hi GGev,

Glad to receive your reply.

Just to make this issue clearly.

• You watch the “someString”.
      • And then you watch the “secondString”.
      • Click “down” key, it showed the “someString” when you watch “secondString”

Am I right?

If so, I try to repro it, I get the same issue when I watch them in the VS2010, but I couldn’t get the same issue in the VS2012.

If you click the dropdown you could get the result like the following screen shot1 in the VS2010, but I couldn’t get it in the VS2012.

In addition, in VS2012, for example, if I watch “Console.”, it will show us the some selections automatically like the second screen shot2, but if we didn’t select anything, just “Console.” and then I couldn’t get the anything when I click “Up” and ”down“ like the third screen shot 3.

Best Regards,

Jack Zhai [MSFT]

Tuesday, August 28, 2012 6:39 AM
  • Hi GGev,

Glad to receive your reply.

Just to make this issue clearly.

• You watch the “someString”.
      • And then you watch the “secondString”.
      • Click “down” key, it showed the “someString” when you watch “secondString”

Am I right?

If so, I try to repro it, I get the same issue when I watch them in the VS2010, but I couldn’t get the same issue in the VS2012.- It should select “someString” before typing ".", after "." was typed, UP and DOWN keys should navigate in opened popup(your screenshot #2).

If you click the dropdown you could get the result like the following screen shot1 in the VS2010, but I couldn’t get it in the VS2012. -I don't want to click on Intellisense's items, it's not comfortable.

In addition, in VS2012, for example, if I watch “Console.”, it will show us the some selections automatically like the second screen shot2, but if we didn’t select anything, just “Console.” and then I couldn’t get the anything when I click “Up” and ”down“ like the third screen shot 3.- YES, and that's the issue!!!

Best Regards,

Jack Zhai [MSFT]

THANKS A LOT!!!

• Edited by GGev Tuesday, August 28, 2012 3:12 PM
    Tuesday, August 28, 2012 3:11 PM
  • Hi GGev,

So the result you want to get is that:

We just watch “Console.”, and don’t select any selections like the screen shot 3, and then it will show the result like the screen shot 2 when we click “UP” or “Down”. Am I right?

If so, I’m afraid that it is not supported, as my understanding, the key (up and down) is used to select the selections in the watch window of the VS2012, I mean that when they showed like the picture 2, we could use “up” and “down”.

You could submit this feature request: http://visualstudio.uservoice.com/forums/121579-visual-studio. The Visual Studio product team is listening to user voice there. You can send your ideas/suggestions there and people can vote. Thanks for your understanding.

Best Regards,

Jack Zhai [MSFT]

• Marked as answer by GGev Friday, August 31, 2012 8:39 AM
    Wednesday, August 29, 2012 3:12 AM
  • its a complete mess. i'm about to throw my computer across the room because i keep forgetting i can't use the up/down arrows.

also Alt + E doesn't work to select the expression text field as it should (the E is underlined)

Thursday, August 30, 2012 7:06 AM
  • Thanks Jack.

Yes, you are right, that's what I'm talking about :)

But this was supported in VS2010, and I don't like using mouse, but now I guess I should :(

• Edited by GGev Friday, August 31, 2012 8:53 AM
    Friday, August 31, 2012 8:39 AM
  • this is without doubt a bug and unintended and extremely frustrating

has anyone filed a connect issue on this yet?

nowhere else in VS or Windows or any other product I've ever used for that matter does a popup menu not give focus to the cursor keys.

as I noted you can't even type Alt+E to get to the 'Expression' box

I just hope they bring out SP1 or hotfixes before too long because I'm finding way too many broken things in VS2012 that ought to be easy fixes

Friday, August 31, 2012 8:51 PM
  • For anyone else having the issue and reading this thread: This is a bug.

"The problem has been fixed and will be available in one of the future releases"

http://connect.microsoft.com/VisualStudio/feedback/details/761258/visual-studio-2012-quickwatch-bug-unable-to-use-arrow-up-down-keys-to-navigate-intellisense

• Proposed as answer by alderschwede Tuesday, October 16, 2012 9:04 AM
    Tuesday, October 16, 2012 9:02 AM
  • Hello Guys,

Any hot-fix for this issue? or how can I get the fix?

Kiran

I am Beginner

Wednesday, July 31, 2013 2:10 AM