Building Windows 8 App targeting Store and Desktop

Question

• Dear all,

I need to work on a new multitouch project which will run under windows 8.
    The application will run as a kiosk application in shop with Windows 8.1 industry embedded.

In order to not being block in future by possible extention I was wondering on following question I have :

- Do I need to build a full Dektop app ?
    - Do I need to build a Dektop App that will be compatible to WinRt ?

The goal is that in case in future I need to build a tablet version of the app, I need to be able to use as much reusable code. Please note that the desktop application we plan to buil will run on  abig format screen so as the user interface will far different from a tablette version, do I need to target now the WinRT platform or better stick to desktop and then move to  anew app on store when needed ?

Thanks for the advise

regards

Monday, February 10, 2014 10:11 AM

Answers

• As you mentioned, its a Tablet based application, i would say go with WinRT platform.

But if you are building application only for windows platform  ( either tablet/ desktop, if you have an option )  for a hardware like All-in-One, better to have windows application ( a wpf client).

Keeping it in app store: it is probably a business decision , that how to distribute app to your customers, you can always distribute a Win store application offline .

Following points to be taken care for code re-usability

• Build as many code module as Portable Class Library
    • Follow MVVM Architecture ( even though many of Controls are not MVVM friendly)
    • Reduce non-compatible  ( WinRT  Vs WPF) controls 
    Monday, February 10, 2014 10:46 AM
  • No, you cannot distribute a desktop app via store. But you can distribute a Win Store application without putting it in Public Store ( Microsoft's).

You have two Options

Side Loading

Deploying enterprise apps

Monday, February 10, 2014 12:16 PM

All replies

• As you mentioned, its a Tablet based application, i would say go with WinRT platform.

But if you are building application only for windows platform  ( either tablet/ desktop, if you have an option )  for a hardware like All-in-One, better to have windows application ( a wpf client).

Keeping it in app store: it is probably a business decision , that how to distribute app to your customers, you can always distribute a Win store application offline .

Following points to be taken care for code re-usability

• Build as many code module as Portable Class Library
    • Follow MVVM Architecture ( even though many of Controls are not MVVM friendly)
    • Reduce non-compatible  ( WinRT  Vs WPF) controls 
    Monday, February 10, 2014 10:46 AM
  • What do you mean by that :

"you can always distribute a Win store application offline "

You mean that I can build a Desktop app distributed from store ? If yes how.

The application I will build is more a business app, that will be resel under a licencing fee

regards

Monday, February 10, 2014 10:51 AM
  • No, you cannot distribute a desktop app via store. But you can distribute a Win Store application without putting it in Public Store ( Microsoft's).

You have two Options

Side Loading

Deploying enterprise apps

Monday, February 10, 2014 12:16 PM
  • Hello Mike, thanks for you info

If I build my Kiosk application which will be based on WPF and C#, and do it as a business app on store that I will distribute Offline, I guess I can manage my application licence policy as I want ?

Actually it is licence file which is hardware lock

regards

Monday, February 10, 2014 12:25 PM
  • Looks good, but point here is, in Win RT, we have very limited support for API which deal with hardware. In such case, checking with hardware will be a difficult. But there are standard identity like Equipment ID, you can access seamlessly. 

you might need to refine options before implementation, i mean a feasibility check

Monday, February 10, 2014 12:36 PM
  • maybe a single server validation licence ky would be enough to check customer info on a remote server.

One point I juts remember, when building desktop application on windows 8 I am using the Surface SDK 2.0 ( Pixelsense based) in order to build collaborative app with control that have embended gesture.

I get in Store API, controls have not bee though as a multiuser purpose and if I want to rotate a control or flick it, I will need to rebuild the control ?

regards

Monday, February 10, 2014 1:16 PM
  • in store controls, these are in-built, you just need to handle Tap event.
    Monday, February 10, 2014 1:25 PM