mixed classic asp and asp.net mvc error RRS feed

• Question

• User-2012457684 posted

I got the mvc pages to work.   But now today  I tried to go the default.asp page in the root i get this   

Description: An error occurred during the processing of a configuration file required to service this request. Please review the specific error details below and modify your configuration file appropriately.

The CodeDom provider type "Microsoft.CodeDom.Providers.DotNetCompilerPlatform.CSharpCodeProvider, Microsoft.CodeDom.Providers.DotNetCompilerPlatform, Version=1.0.7.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=31bf3856ad364e35" could not be located.

so why is this throwing a .net error ehen it is not opening a .net page?

what do i need to do to fix this?

Wednesday, April 29, 2020 9:13 PM

Answers

• User-474980206 posted

classic asp & and asp.net can run in the same vdir (just both handlers installed). it would appear the root site has been converted to support asp.net, but is missing the required bin files, or the web.config is not correct or both. 

with out seeing you IIS setting and web.config its difficult to determine what you did. also what version of .net framework is installed. the web.confog file at the root (or the site config if one is not at the root).

the easiest fix might be to build an empty asp.net site and deploy to the root.

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Thursday, April 30, 2020 3:16 PM

All replies

• User1120430333 posted

Why would you want legacy ASP.NET Webform to work in an ASP.NET MVC solution. At best , the default,aspx file should have been converted over to a Blazor page.

The CodeDom provider type "Microsoft.CodeDom.Providers.DotNetCompilerPlatform.CSharpCodeProvider, Microsoft.CodeDom.Providers.DotNetCompilerPlatform, Version=1.0.7.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=31bf3856ad364e35" could not be located.

Where is the DLL at that is needed based on its version number and publickey token.

Thursday, April 30, 2020 1:19 AM
  • User1686398519 posted

Hi,  mj1223

You can use NuGet to install "Microsoft.CodeDom.Providers.DotNetCompilerPlatform"for your project..

Here is the result.

Best Regards,

YihuiSun

Thursday, April 30, 2020 3:34 AM
  • User-2012457684 posted

Why would you want legacy ASP.NET Webform to work in an ASP.NET MVC solution. At best , the default,aspx file should have been converted over to a Blazor page.

Where is the DLL at that is needed based on its version number and publickey token.

I did not say asp.net webform,  I said Classic asp.   The version of asp before asp.net!!!    Also known as asp 3.0.   

It is legacy code that would take too much time to convert to MVC.  

Thursday, April 30, 2020 2:59 PM
  • User-2012457684 posted

It has it.    Reread my post.  It is throwing the error in a classic asp page written in VBscript.

Thursday, April 30, 2020 3:01 PM
  • User-474980206 posted

classic asp & and asp.net can run in the same vdir (just both handlers installed). it would appear the root site has been converted to support asp.net, but is missing the required bin files, or the web.config is not correct or both. 

with out seeing you IIS setting and web.config its difficult to determine what you did. also what version of .net framework is installed. the web.confog file at the root (or the site config if one is not at the root).

the easiest fix might be to build an empty asp.net site and deploy to the root.

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Thursday, April 30, 2020 3:16 PM
  • User475983607 posted

so why is this throwing a .net error ehen it is not opening a .net page?

This question cannot be answered.  The community has no idea how your IIS application is designed or intended to work.  

what do i need to do to fix this?

I assume this is an IIS design problem but we cannot provide a suggestion as you've told us nothing about the design. 

Thursday, April 30, 2020 3:19 PM
  • User-2012457684 posted

thanks   that was the issue.

Thursday, April 30, 2020 5:42 PM
  • User1120430333 posted

DA924

I did not say asp.net webform,  I said Classic asp.   The version of asp before asp.net!!!    Also known as asp 3.0.   

It is legacy code that would take too much time to convert to MVC.  

Oh you mean the legacy ASP.NET's daddy legacy ASP. :)

Thursday, April 30, 2020 6:34 PM