What is rollover and its concept in sql server ? And what is the concept of IAO? RRS feed

• Question

• would someone please tell me what is rollover and what is its concept?

another question is what is IAO in sql server?

Thanks in advance

sqlfan

Wednesday, October 29, 2014 12:47 PM

Answers

• Hi sqlfan,

Question 1: what is rollover and what is its concept?
    In SQL Server, when we set a maximum file size for a trace file there is an option called rollover. The file rollover option causes SQL Server to close the current trace file and create a new file when the maximum file size is reached. With the file rollover option on, the trace continues until it is stopped by some other means. And we can disable the file rollover option to stop the trace after we have reached the file size limit. For more information about this option, please refer to the following article: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms191206.aspx

Question 2: what is IAO in sql server?
    Base on my research, IAO may stand for Information Awareness Office (IAO), which is created in response to the terrorist attack of September 11, 2001, is a branch of the United States Defense Advanced Research Agency (DARPA) that aims to gather massive amounts of intelligence through electronic sources in order to help avert terrorist acts in the future. It may not have direct relationship with SQL Server.

If you have any question, please feel free to let me know.

Regards,
    Jerry Li

Thursday, October 30, 2014 11:11 AM

All replies

• I've never heard of either "rollover" or "IAO".

David

David http://blogs.msdn.com/b/dbrowne/

Wednesday, October 29, 2014 1:10 PM
  • I'm wih David. Can you give us some more info/context, sqlfan?

Tibor Karaszi, SQL Server MVP | web | blog

Wednesday, October 29, 2014 1:43 PM
  • Hi sqlfan,

Question 1: what is rollover and what is its concept?
    In SQL Server, when we set a maximum file size for a trace file there is an option called rollover. The file rollover option causes SQL Server to close the current trace file and create a new file when the maximum file size is reached. With the file rollover option on, the trace continues until it is stopped by some other means. And we can disable the file rollover option to stop the trace after we have reached the file size limit. For more information about this option, please refer to the following article: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms191206.aspx

Question 2: what is IAO in sql server?
    Base on my research, IAO may stand for Information Awareness Office (IAO), which is created in response to the terrorist attack of September 11, 2001, is a branch of the United States Defense Advanced Research Agency (DARPA) that aims to gather massive amounts of intelligence through electronic sources in order to help avert terrorist acts in the future. It may not have direct relationship with SQL Server.

If you have any question, please feel free to let me know.

Regards,
    Jerry Li

Thursday, October 30, 2014 11:11 AM