none
Color video not working when running from Kinect Studio RRS feed

• Question

• My system: Windows 7 Pro, 64 bits, Intel core i7, 8MB RAM, Intel HD graphics 4000, Geforce GT 635, Kinect SDK 1.8

My problem: While skeleton tracking and depth video work fine, I cannot get color video to display, for example using the Kinect Explorer sample, when running .xed files from Kinect Studio. Live color video works fine. I have run the same .xed files on the same computer without problems previously but under Windows 8. Why do I experience this limitation now under W7? The laptop computer I'm using was originally delivered with W8 and I was forced to install W7 due to a hard-drive crash. 

Fredrik

• Edited by Spigge Wednesday, July 9, 2014 10:23 PM
    Wednesday, July 9, 2014 3:14 PM

All replies

• If you record a new clip with color on the machine does that play back without issue?

Carmine Sirignano - MSFT

Wednesday, July 9, 2014 10:51 PM
  • Good idea, thanks Carmine. I recorded a new clip but with the same result. The color video screen is still black, both in the application and in Kinect studio. Funny thing is that the video frames have been stored OK since, when i move the mouse pointer along the time axis in Kinect Studio, I can manually sweep through the frames. But they will not show when pressing play. This appears very strange to me, and it's preventing me to proceed developing my app.

Fredrik

Wednesday, July 9, 2014 11:12 PM
  • Do you have another system that you can test the device/SDK on? Just to confirm, if you use the ColorBasics-D2D sample and connect to that using KStudio, you are able to see the Color Live preview in KStudio without issue? 

You may need to confirm you have all the latest drivers from Intel for your GPU.

Carmine Sirignano - MSFT

Thursday, July 10, 2014 6:14 PM
  • The issue remains with ColorBasics-D2D. It is clear that the manufacturer of the system under question (ASUS K55VJ) does not encourage a downgrade to W7 since they do not offer a complete driver package, albeit it can be found elsewhere. I have a different system that also runs W7 and there I have no video issues. I triple checked the drivers for the graphic cards and they should all be OK. However, it might be the case that I'm missing something else since I made a manual installation of all drivers. Still, it is very surprising that live video works but not video injected from KS. Any final suggestions before I drag myself to the store and buy W8? I'd rather spend the money on something that really benefits my app.

Thanks,

Fredrik

Sunday, July 13, 2014 11:01 PM