Bluetooth to establish connection beetween Windows and Windows Phone Store Apps

Question

• Is it possible to connect a Windows 8.1 device to a Windows Phone 8.1 device via Bluetooth/Wifi-Direct in Universal Apps ?
    Wednesday, May 28, 2014 8:12 AM

Answers

• Hi Alois,

You cannot browse (FindAllPeersAsync) for a connection between a Windows Store app and a Windows Phone app, but you should be able to connect via tap.

Otherwise you'd need to set up the connections by address.

--Rob

Friday, June 6, 2014 8:29 PM
    Owner

All replies

• Yes. You can use the PeerFinder to hook this up.

See Proximity and Tapping (C#/VB/C++) and Proximity sample for details.

Wednesday, May 28, 2014 12:11 PM
    Owner
  • Hi and thanks for your answer,

I i tried the Proximity sample but without success.

My tab (Samsung Ativ Smart PC Pro 700T) never sees my phones (nokia 1520 in 8.1 or Nokia 925 in 8.1) as peer. It works between the two phones but never between tab and phone.

I saw on the documentation of the FindAllPeerAync method (http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/apps/windows.networking.proximity.peerfinder.findallpeersasync) that it is not possible because "thetransport used for peer discovery differs between PC and phoneand the documentation also said "your app running on a PC can only find peer PCs and your app running on a phone can only find peer phones."

If it's possible, which kind of transport must be used the apps, Bluetooth, wifidirect, nfc ?

Wednesday, May 28, 2014 1:29 PM
  • Hi Alois,

You cannot browse (FindAllPeersAsync) for a connection between a Windows Store app and a Windows Phone app, but you should be able to connect via tap.

Otherwise you'd need to set up the connections by address.

--Rob

Friday, June 6, 2014 8:29 PM
    Owner
  • Hi Rob,

I work with Alois on this subject, so thanks for your answer.

I don't understand very well what tap is. Is it the PeerDiscoveryTypes find with PeerFinder.SupportedDiscoveryTypes ? My windows app said that only Triggered mode is allowed and my windows phone said both Triggered and Browse are allowed, but I never managed to connect them together. Do you know which method i have have to use if FindAllPeerAsync not work ?

And for a connection by address ?

Thanks 

Maxime

Wednesday, June 11, 2014 2:49 PM
  • Thanks a lot for your answer, it realy helps me !
    Friday, June 13, 2014 1:22 PM