none
Chart Grouping filter doesn't contain all properties RRS feed

• Question

• We have two Instrumentation Keys that allow us to point the services to use one or the other key. When I create a new chart, we want to use the Grouping filter for displaying our custom events. The heavy use key has a list of items in the drop down that doesn't match the one in the light use developer one. These custom events have custom data that we want to group on.

So a couple of questions:

• Is the list of items for the Grouping dropdown limited?
    • What is the limit?
    • How can I force this list to have the grouping values we need?

Brad Thompson

Friday, September 11, 2015 4:30 PM

Answers

• As soon as custom property gets more that 200 different values it stops being a dimension and you cannot group by it. There is no override for this number.

You can either set up a continuous export and use some other than UI tools to group by that property or you can limit the number of variations (e.g. do you include some parameters there?..).  

Anastasia

Thursday, September 17, 2015 6:22 PM

All replies

• As soon as custom property gets more that 200 different values it stops being a dimension and you cannot group by it. There is no override for this number.

You can either set up a continuous export and use some other than UI tools to group by that property or you can limit the number of variations (e.g. do you include some parameters there?..).  

Anastasia

Thursday, September 17, 2015 6:22 PM
  • Thank you

Brad Thompson

Monday, September 21, 2015 10:51 PM
  • But that mechanism (allowing 200 different values) is very restrictive for some use cases.

In our case we send the version number of our app as property. With daily builds the limit of 200 is reached very quickly. In fact we reached that value already and have no means anymore to filter out events from current version only.

Wouldn't it be better to first (!) apply the time range and then check if a property has more than 200 different values?

In that case I would have far less different versions when I selected the max. time range of e.g. 7 days and I would be able to select the current version.

Or do you know a better solution for our problem?

Friedo

Monday, December 14, 2015 7:25 PM