App Crashing on Startup sometimes

Question

• Some of my App's users are reporting, that the app is crashing on startup. Before my Extended Splash screen takes over. This is a small percentage of users, that are reporting the issue, and I realize that the information I can provide is very little.

Nevertheless I would like to ask if anyone could give me some suggestions on what could be causing the crash?

The first and only thing I do in my code before I show the extended splash is initialize the license. (i.e. check if it is a trial and show a popup message.)
    I don't know if this code executes or if the app crashes before that. If it does crash before my code executes, would it suggest a problem on the users/OS side?

This is a little tricky, as I have no way of reproducing the crash.

If any of you could give me some guidance on how to handle something like this I would be very grateful.

Cheers,

Censored

Wednesday, October 3, 2012 4:38 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Is really difficult to figure out a solution on this case. It seems to be a issue of something that the app is trying to do during the inicialization.

Does your app load files, or do async operation as soon as the app begins? Because it's a commum problem. Sometimes you could be calling some kind of code that depends on a async operation. So, in some specific cases, the operation ends in time, on the other hand, in another machines it could not work.

Sorry, I'm trying to figure out something that can help you. Feel free to give more details, if you want, so I can help you better.

Thanks

• Marked as answer by CensoredUser Friday, October 5, 2012 7:45 AM
    Thursday, October 4, 2012 7:19 PM

All replies

• Hi,

This is a very complex issue, but I suggest that you check how your app behave in when has been reactivated from suspension, and all the "application lifecycle" as well.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/apps/hh464925.aspx

Thanks

Thursday, October 4, 2012 4:34 PM
  • Yeah I did have another look at all that code, but reactivation is not really relevant, as the app crashes for some users when it is first launched (after downloading from the store).

Thursday, October 4, 2012 4:42 PM
  • Hi,

Is really difficult to figure out a solution on this case. It seems to be a issue of something that the app is trying to do during the inicialization.

Does your app load files, or do async operation as soon as the app begins? Because it's a commum problem. Sometimes you could be calling some kind of code that depends on a async operation. So, in some specific cases, the operation ends in time, on the other hand, in another machines it could not work.

Sorry, I'm trying to figure out something that can help you. Feel free to give more details, if you want, so I can help you better.

Thanks

• Marked as answer by CensoredUser Friday, October 5, 2012 7:45 AM
    Thursday, October 4, 2012 7:19 PM
  • It seems to have been fixed by updating. I did not really change anything in the initialization code, but it could have been something to do with the license Info. (Checking for trial etc.) Not sure what did it though :S  
    Friday, October 5, 2012 7:47 AM