Cannot connect to SQL database RRS feed

• Question

• Hi

I have a user who installed SQL 2008 and setup the database.  the firewall is off on their pc.  however i am unable to connect to the database.

i am trying to use the sql native client to setup the odbc however i am getting the error

Connection failed - SQL state '08001'

sql server error -1

microsoft sql server native client 10.0 sql server network interfaces: error locating server/instance specified

login timeout expired

Thursday, August 11, 2011 1:14 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hi,

What Edition of SQL Server did you install?  If SQL Express, you need to enter 'SERVERNAME\SQLEXPRESS', as a named instance gets created by default.

If not, check out: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/195566

Thanks,

Andrew Bainbridge
    SQL Server DBA

Please click "Propose As Answer" if a post solves your problem, or "Vote As Helpful" if a post has been useful to you
    Thursday, August 11, 2011 1:30 PM
  • Hi

This is the error I am receiving

Microsoft SQL Server Native Client Version 10.50.1600

Running connectivity tests...

Attempting connection
    [Microsoft][SQL Server Native Client 10.0]TCP Provider: A connection attempt failed because the connected party did not properly respond after a period of time, or established connection failed because connected host has failed to respond.

[Microsoft][SQL Server Native Client 10.0]Login timeout expired
    [Microsoft][SQL Server Native Client 10.0]A network-related or instance-specific error has occurred while establishing a connection to SQL Server. Server is not found or not accessible. Check if instance name is correct and if SQL Server is configured to allow remote connections. For more information see SQL Server Books Online.

TESTS FAILED!

Connection failed - SQL state '08001'

sql server error 10060

microsoft sql server native client 10.0 tcp provider A connection attempt failed because the connected party did not repond after a period of time or established connection failed as the host failed to respond.

What have i missed

Thursday, August 11, 2011 2:29 PM
  • Hi,

Can you run the following and post results:

select serverproperty('edition')

Can you check that the server's configured to allow remote connections, right click the instance, Properties -> Connections -> Check "Allow remote connections to this server".

Check the SQL Server Browser service is running (for named instance)

Ensure tcp/ip is enabled through SQL Server Configuration Manager.

Thanks,

Andrew Bainbridge
    SQL Server DBA

Please click "Propose As Answer" if a post solves your problem, or "Vote As Helpful" if a post has been useful to you
    Thursday, August 11, 2011 2:50 PM
  • Yes the server is allowed to allow remote connections

the server browser is running

tcp/ip is enabled as well as named pipes

the info is as below

Microsoft SQL Server Management Studio      10.50.1600.1

Microsoft Data Access Components (MDAC)      6.1.7601.17514
    Microsoft MSXML      3.0 4.0 6.0
    Microsoft Internet Explorer      8.0.7601.17514
    Microsoft .NET Framework      2.0.50727.5420
    Operating System      6.1.7601

Thursday, August 11, 2011 3:11 PM
  • Here are my detailed troubleshooting steps: http://social.technet.microsoft.com/wiki/contents/articles/how-to-troubleshoot-connecting-to-the-sql-server-database-engine.aspx 
    Rick Byham, Microsoft, SQL Server Books Online, Implies no warranty
    • Marked as answer by nubianbabe Thursday, August 11, 2011 8:51 PM
    Thursday, August 11, 2011 4:14 PM
  • Let's see the ConnectionString.

Is the SQLBrowser service running on the host system (where SQL Server is running)?

Have you read this: http://betav.com/blog/billva/2006/06/getting-and-staying-connected-1.html#more ?

hth

William Vaughn's blog

“Hitchhiker’s Guide to Visual Studio and SQL Server (7th Edition)”

“The Owl Wrangler” a fantasy fiction novel

Please click the Mark as Answer button if a post solves your problem!

Thursday, August 11, 2011 5:00 PM
  • THanks Rick

Following the guidelines you provided helped,  this issue was a simple dns problem

thanks so much

Thursday, August 11, 2011 8:51 PM
  • Awesome Mr Byham... this has solved my issue with sql server connectivity which I was facing for a very long time... this article is like bible and has all the pieces of information which i gathered so far ....I got the same error as nubianbabe and the steps were helpful in determining that the dns and mcafee antivirus were causing issue...

Thank you.

Regards,

Rajini

Tuesday, December 18, 2012 1:32 AM
  • Awesome Mr Byham... this has solved my issue with sql server connectivity which I was facing for a very long time... this article is like bible and has all the pieces of information which i gathered so far ....I got the same error as nubianbabe and the steps were helpful in determining that the dns and mcafee antivirus were causing issue...

Thank you.

Regards,

Rajini

Tuesday, December 18, 2012 1:32 AM
  • Awesome Mr Byham... this has solved my issue with sql server connectivity which I was facing for a very long time... this article is like The Bible and has all the pieces of information which i gathered so far ....I got the same error as nubianbabe and the steps were helpful in determining that the dns and mcafee antivirus were causing issue...

Thank you.

Regards,

Rajini

• Edited by M_Rajini Tuesday, December 18, 2012 1:33 AM
    Tuesday, December 18, 2012 1:33 AM