Architecture, UML modeling, and code visualization tools in Visual Studio 2010 Ultimate Beta 2 - Please help us improve with your feedback RRS feed

All replies

• bump
    Esther Fan | User Education | Visual Studio Team Architect
    Friday, July 17, 2009 3:57 PM
  • what about SD e AD and DD diagram (more in general about SDM including all the design fetures avalaible in VSTS 2008) in VSTS 2010?  It seems that everithing will be replaced by UML standard diagrams. Isn't it?

Tuesday, July 28, 2009 4:21 PM
  • Yes, that's correct.
    Tuesday, July 28, 2009 9:45 PM
  • So, what are the Applications Designer, Systems Designer, etc equivalent tools in VSTS 2010? Have you defined some UML sterotypes?
    Thursday, July 30, 2009 9:46 AM
  • There will be 3 sets of stereotypes, or profiles: two for UML and one for .NET. You can also create custom ones:

Customizing Your Model with Profiles and Stereotypes
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd465156(VS.100).aspx

Does that help?
    Thursday, July 30, 2009 3:36 PM
  • no. it did't. :-(
    let me make an example. If have designed my solutions using VSTS2008 architect edition leveraging on SDM, creating wonderful system diagrams and applications diagramas, and so fort, how do I will continue my work with VSTS 2010? Could I import the diagrams in VSTS 2010? if yes, how they will be rendered/transformed?

My problem is find parallels between 2008 and 2010.

Thursday, July 30, 2009 4:28 PM
  • Hello Pierluigi_R,

First of all, thank you for evaluating VSTS 2010, we appreciate the feedback.  We currently do not have any plans to provide a direct conversation between diagrams created in VSTS 2008 and 2010.  We do have several tools that will reverse engineer your existing applications, and in the future hope to make it easy to pull that existing application data into the UML diagrams.  Since you are using the Application and System diagrams in 2008, you may want to look at the UML component diagram. 

It may be helpful if you can describe how you use the 2008 product, I may be able to describe in more details how you can utilize the 2010 product.  Feel free to email me directly "mark DOT groves AT Microsoft DOT com"

Thanks,
    Mark

Mark Groves | Program Manager | Visual Studio Team System Architecture
    Wednesday, August 12, 2009 12:19 AM