Getting UX design help

Question

• Hello,   

I need some UX Designer advice.  

My Store App just has a list of categories on the left, touch a category and I show a list of  the contents on the right.  Everything is text, not images or anything.  

It's Useful and simple, but after watching the Design UX tracks at Build 2012,  my UI isn't up to snuff and honestly I don't know how to make it that way.  I am not a UI guy.

So I need some UX designer time.  I wouldn't think more than a couple of hours since my little application only has 1 screen.

I checked elance and have looked around trying to find a UX designer that knows the Windows Store App Style but haven't had much luck.

Can anyone point me to someone/somewhere where I can get some help?  

thanks,

Sunday, October 20, 2013 3:51 PM

Answers

• Hi IUnknown,

Go to https://build.windowsstore.com/ to find events or to contact your local evangelists. You might meet others who can help you out or ask about signing up for an App Consult session.

--Rob

Tuesday, October 22, 2013 9:41 PM
    Owner
  • There used to be a program called generationApp, which I took part in, that gave a free design consultation. It was an extremely beneficial program. However, it seems like this has been "game-ified" now under then build.windowsstore.com | Start Building area. As you mentioned, the earning points is the way to go now.

Personally, I do a lot of design consultation for Win8 app design and there are some easy ways to "spiff" up your app without images, etc.  For example, what is your color scheme? Do you have one or are you just using the dark or light themes? Just using bold colors, for background, listview "tiles", for your categories along the side, would really make this app pop. You can databind the background attribute so that you can specify the background color in your "list" data so that it appears to be random and/or varying or even use js code to randomly set the background, text etc.  What about changing your side category list to a top "filter" box and add some animation to it. A good example of this is the Netflix app. I love how their side "category list" appears and disappears when you touch the up/down arrow.  Or maybe switch from having the chrome along the side to using the new HUB control to put your data into category "sections"? What about making your list more like a news reader type app, like Bing News, so that all the listview containers aren't the same size?

These are all "styling" things you can do as a developer that would give your app some zing and are all relatively easy to do.

Good luck!

Christine

Saturday, November 9, 2013 2:24 PM

All replies

• Hello,   

I need some UX Designer advice.  

My Store App just has a list of categories on the left, touch a category and I show a list of  the contents on the right.  Everything is text, not images or anything.  

It's Useful and simple, but after watching the Design UX tracks at Build 2012,  my UI isn't up to snuff and honestly I don't know how to make it that way.  I am not a UI guy.

So I need some UX designer time.  I wouldn't think more than a couple of hours since my little application only has 1 screen.

I checked elance and have looked around trying to find a UX designer that knows the Windows Store App Style but haven't had much luck.

Can anyone point me to someone/somewhere where I can get some help?  

thanks,

This is a growing problem, as the UI gets increasingly decoupled from the core app and the UI sophistication increases, the scope of skills needed to create cutting edge apps just gets bigger, its demanding to keep up.

Now if these forums allowed members to contact each other, you might be able to discuss some arrangement with someone here, but the forum system is disappointing and all communication with others must be public, this is a ridiculous situation but I've been raising it for almost a decade to no-avail, good luck.

Cap'n

Monday, October 21, 2013 1:13 AM
  • Thanks Cap'n for taking the time to respond.  

I was hoping that there were other people facing the same problem I was and had found a resource that they could access.  

While watching the 'Build' videos they talking about a 'Fast Track App' team that people could run their Store App UI design by for some guidance.

I was sort of hoping that that was still a 'service' that Microsoft offered.  I think I'll look up my Microsoft partner contact and see if he can help.

thanks again Cap'n.

Tuesday, October 22, 2013 1:27 PM
  • Hi IUnknown,

Go to https://build.windowsstore.com/ to find events or to contact your local evangelists. You might meet others who can help you out or ask about signing up for an App Consult session.

--Rob

Tuesday, October 22, 2013 9:41 PM
    Owner
  • Thanks Rob,   

It looks like I can earn enough points to get a 45 minute consult with a Microsoft UX expert for 10k points. Sounds exactly like what I need. :)

Wednesday, October 23, 2013 6:07 PM
  • There used to be a program called generationApp, which I took part in, that gave a free design consultation. It was an extremely beneficial program. However, it seems like this has been "game-ified" now under then build.windowsstore.com | Start Building area. As you mentioned, the earning points is the way to go now.

Personally, I do a lot of design consultation for Win8 app design and there are some easy ways to "spiff" up your app without images, etc.  For example, what is your color scheme? Do you have one or are you just using the dark or light themes? Just using bold colors, for background, listview "tiles", for your categories along the side, would really make this app pop. You can databind the background attribute so that you can specify the background color in your "list" data so that it appears to be random and/or varying or even use js code to randomly set the background, text etc.  What about changing your side category list to a top "filter" box and add some animation to it. A good example of this is the Netflix app. I love how their side "category list" appears and disappears when you touch the up/down arrow.  Or maybe switch from having the chrome along the side to using the new HUB control to put your data into category "sections"? What about making your list more like a news reader type app, like Bing News, so that all the listview containers aren't the same size?

These are all "styling" things you can do as a developer that would give your app some zing and are all relatively easy to do.

Good luck!

Christine

Saturday, November 9, 2013 2:24 PM
  • Thank you Christine.  That is very helpful. 

Do you still do this sort of consulting? 

Thursday, November 14, 2013 3:34 AM
  • Hi.

I'm glad that that was helpful to you. Are you creating a Win8 Modern design app version of your FileSure product? or is this another product/app altogether?

And yes, I do still do this sort of consulting. More and more of it every day as a matter of fact. Along with writing my own apps.

And I'm in the process of creating some learning products around these topics to help developers on design fundamentals. I'm not sure when I'll have those released though, but feel free to contact me if you'd like.

Christine

christine.flora@symnoian.com

Thursday, November 14, 2013 3:42 PM