none
Programming for Office365 Excel RRS feed

• Question

• Hey everyone,

Im quite new to programming and have a few questions according Office 365/Excel in Visual Studio.

I have some expirience programming smaller things in VBA to automate a lot of tasks in Excel, but i have come to the point that the data that needs computing, is a bit to much for VBA to handle everything in time, plus i need to create something that runs 24/7 later on our little server and VBA scripts dont seem to be to practical for this.

aaaaanyway, i figured i learn a programming language and landed on C++, but i cant for the life of me find the libraries to include to use excel functions, only the libraries for older Office versions seem to exist.

So my question now is: is it possible to use C++ to make some automations for excel, or do i need to switch to something else? C# seems like it has what i need from what i could find so far.

And do you have any expierience in this topic? as i said i need a programm that runs 24/7 and makes different calculations with the data from textfiles/data that comes in every so often. Excels functions seem perfect for this, since most of it already exists in VBA code, which i just need to translate and put together...

Im sorry, but i have issues sometimes making a short and simple question:

What is a good language to use for Excel 365 automation and where can i find the neccessary libraries?

Greetings,

PS: sorry hab' nicht gesehen, dass das hier ein deutsches Forum ist.... uups
    Thursday, July 26, 2018 1:55 PM

All replies

• Hello fourtimestenplustwo,

There are many language support for Office automation. They are including but not limit to C++,C#, VB.Net. You could choose any of them you are more familiar.

For the issue only the libraries for older Office version exist, not sure what you saw, but please note, the version for the dll is not same as the product. For instance, Office 13 and Office 16's api version is 15. Office 2010's api version is 14.

The key point for your issue now is that you are planning to run your application on a server and Microsoft does not suggest and support for office automation on Server-Side. You could refer to below link for more information.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-sg/help/257757/considerations-for-server-side-automation-of-office

Best Regards,

Terry

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Monday, July 30, 2018 9:54 AM