SQL Server 2008 Profiler--Templates Missing RRS feed

• Question

•  

For some reason (even after an uninstall, reinstall and updating the the Community Update) there are no templates visible in the Profiler for SQL Server 2008. On another system it works fine but the Trace Provider Type shows "Microsoft SQL Server 2008". On the problem system it shows "Microsoft SQL Server 10.0".

What's up?

Tuesday, November 18, 2008 12:42 AM

Answers

• For some reason (even after an uninstall, reinstall and updating the the Community Update) there are no templates visible in the Profiler for SQL Server 2008. On another system it works fine but the Trace Provider Type shows "Microsoft SQL Server 2008". On the problem system it shows "Microsoft SQL Server 10.0".

What's up?

Here is the actual answer you were all looking for:

The server you are connecting to is a 10.50 sql server and your machine doesnt have a folder for that. So to fix it, copy your 100 folder (found: C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft SQL Server\100\Tools\Profiler\Templates\Microsoft SQL Server\100) making a new folder in the same location named 1050.

Everything will work fine now.

Tuesday, September 14, 2010 7:30 PM
  •  

Hello William

It seems to be a known issue in case of SQL Server 2008 . Already a defect is raised for it.

Please check this link

http://connect.microsoft.com/SQLServer/feedback/ViewFeedback.aspx?FeedbackID=382515

Thanks

Sreekar

Friday, November 21, 2008 9:07 AM
  • Copy the folder from another SQL Server to your machine, the default path is C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\100\Tools\Profiler\Templates\Microsoft SQL Server\100,  Any question, let me know.

Friday, November 21, 2008 2:09 PM

All replies

• A copy of the templates should live under "Documents and Settings" folder in "Application Data\Microsoft\Microsoft SQL Server\100\Tools\Shell\Templates". Check if that's the case or not.

Thanks,

Varsham

Wednesday, November 19, 2008 5:03 AM
  •  

Check the following path:

C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\100\Tools\Profiler\Templates\Microsoft SQL Server\100

It contains the available templates for SQL Server 2008.

Thanks

Sreekar

Wednesday, November 19, 2008 7:17 AM
  •  

Hello William

It seems to be a known issue in case of SQL Server 2008 . Already a defect is raised for it.

Please check this link

http://connect.microsoft.com/SQLServer/feedback/ViewFeedback.aspx?FeedbackID=382515

Thanks

Sreekar

Friday, November 21, 2008 9:07 AM
  • Copy the folder from another SQL Server to your machine, the default path is C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\100\Tools\Profiler\Templates\Microsoft SQL Server\100,  Any question, let me know.

Friday, November 21, 2008 2:09 PM
  • Could it be that you accidentally ran the SQL 2005 version of profiler. I did and got exactly that behaviour.

Missing Profiler Templates in SQL 2008

SQL Server MVP http:\\sqlblogcasts.com\blogs\simons
    Monday, December 15, 2008 12:45 PM
  • For some reason (even after an uninstall, reinstall and updating the the Community Update) there are no templates visible in the Profiler for SQL Server 2008. On another system it works fine but the Trace Provider Type shows "Microsoft SQL Server 2008". On the problem system it shows "Microsoft SQL Server 10.0".

What's up?

Here is the actual answer you were all looking for:

The server you are connecting to is a 10.50 sql server and your machine doesnt have a folder for that. So to fix it, copy your 100 folder (found: C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft SQL Server\100\Tools\Profiler\Templates\Microsoft SQL Server\100) making a new folder in the same location named 1050.

Everything will work fine now.

Tuesday, September 14, 2010 7:30 PM
  • Chris I tried that. I even made a C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft SQL Server\100\Tools\Profiler\Templates\Microsoft SQL Server\10501600 (10.50.1600 is the version of the server I am connecting to) folder as well as the 1050 folder. However neither one worked. My SQL Profiler does not show any other template than "Blank".

Side note: I ran SysInternals procmon, and I do not even see the profiler attempting to access any of the template directorties. It does however access:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Microsoft SQL Server\100\Tools\SQLServerProfiler\Client\Templates\Microsoft SQL Server\100

//Will write code for food
    Wednesday, December 29, 2010 4:39 PM
  • Thanks @ChrisLawrence that worked PERFECTLY!
    Monday, August 22, 2011 10:53 PM
  • My thanks also to @ChrisLawrence - it worked perfectly and saved me from more aggrevation trying to locate templates I'd thought I'd created.
    Friday, January 27, 2012 2:46 PM
  • This solution does not work for me. I've even tried copying the 10.00.0 definition files and creating 10.50.0 definition files and that isn't working. Copied and placed a 1050 folder in almost every sub-folder under Microsoft SQL Server both collectively and individually and tried all combinations. It works just fine when I'm connecting to a local instance but if I try a remote connection it never works, both locations with SQL 08 R2. I really don't want to have to install this on a VM, has anyone come across another work around for this?
    Thursday, July 12, 2012 9:44 PM
  • The solution you described worked for me, because I actually use SQL Server 2008 R2.

Indeed, 10.50 is the major version number of SQL Server 2008 R2: How to determine the version and edition of SQL Server and its components.

Apparently, missing folder 1050 is the major reason for this issue, seeing the votes cast. Probably one of few issues when connecting to an R2 server from Management Studio 2008.

Monday, April 14, 2014 11:35 AM