none
Azure Migrate agentless migration - computer name after test migration stays the same causing domain problems RRS feed

• Question

• I have executed a test migration of one (VMWare) VM using the latest Azure Migrate release - using the agentless option. It created a VM with "-test" appended to the computer name. However, the computer name - visible in the system properties when I used remote desktop to the resulting Azure VM via a local account - is the same as the original VM on-premises. I cannot change the name because "the identification of the computer cannot be changed because The Certification Authority Service is installed on this computer".

As a consequence there are 2 VMs with the same identity - one on-premise and one in Azure - that is causing problems. When I try to logon with a domain account for instance I get the error message "The trust relationship between this workstation and the primary domain failed" (hence I had to create a local account on the Azure VM via the Azure portal to be able to access the Azure VM).

Is there a way around this issue?

Thx!

• Edited by GerardPA Sunday, August 11, 2019 7:27 AM
    Saturday, August 10, 2019 4:44 PM

All replies

• Hi,

It is recommended that for test failover, you choose a network that's isolated from the production. By default, when you create an Azure virtual network, it is isolated from other networks. The test network should mimic your production network:

• The test network should have same number of subnets as your production network. Subnets should have the same names.
    • The test network should use the same IP address range.
    • Update the DNS of the test network with the IP address specified for the DNS VM in Compute and Network 

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. My blog: http://cloudskillz.wordpress.com/

Sunday, August 11, 2019 1:45 PM