none
Office word addin not working with Office 2007 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I have created an office word addin (c#) using visual studio 2012.I have created the vsto files etc and the addin is working perfectly fine with office 2010 and office 2013.

However, with office 2007,it is not loading and i can see the registry entry 'LoadBehavior' set to 0 for office 2007.

Is there any specific requirement for vsto addins for office 2007

regards

Pushpendra

Pushpendra

Wednesday, May 28, 2014 9:14 AM

Answers

• I changed the registry entry like this, and it works

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\Word\Addins\BLock.Word]
    "Description"="BlockWORD"
    "FriendlyName"="BlockWORD"
    "LoadBehavior"=dword:00000003
    "Manifest"="file:///C:\\Program Files\\B.Lock\\Agent\\bin\\BlockWord.vsto|vstolocal"

Pushpendra

Thursday, May 29, 2014 8:27 AM

All replies

• Hello Pushpendra,

How did you register the add-in on the problematic PC? Did you have a chance to check out the registry records right after installing the add-in? Was the LoadBehavior entry set properly?

Microsoft Office applications can disable add-ins that behave unexpectedly. If an application does not load your add-in, the application might have hard disabled or soft disabled your add-in. 

Hard disabling can occur when an add-in causes the application to close unexpectedly. It might also occur on your development computer if you stop the debugger while the Startup event handler in your add-in is executing.

Soft disabling can occur when an add-in produces an error that does not cause the application to unexpectedly close. For example, an application might soft disable an add-in if it throws an unhandled exception while the Startup event handler is executing.

When you re-enable a soft-disabled add-in, the application immediately attempts to load the add-in. If the problem that initially caused the application to soft disable the add-in has not been fixed, the application will soft disable the add-in again. You can read more about this in the How to: Re-enable an Add-in That Has Been Disabled article in MSDN.

Is your add-in listed in the Disabled Items list?

Wednesday, May 28, 2014 10:14 AM
  • After referring to few forums, it tried building the sample addins using vs2010, 

the addin is listed under Inactive Application Add-ins and the load behaviour is set to 0 in registry entry.Is there any log i can refer to check the cause of issue

regards.

Pushpendra

Wednesday, May 28, 2014 10:22 AM
  • Hi Pushpendra,

How did you deploy the add-in? Based on the value of load behavior, the add-in wouldn’t be loaded automatically. Have you tried load the add-in manually? You can refer to article below to load an add-in in Office 2007:

Load or unload a template or add-in program

Did you get any exception when you load the add-in manually?

As far as I know, we can create an add-in using Visual Studio 2010 and above and the add-in can run in Office 2007, Office 2010, Office 2013. But if the add-in runs in Office 2007, the solution will run without errors in the 2007 Microsoft Office system only if it does not use features that are new in Office 2010.

I suggest you creating a simple sample to see whether it can runs in Office 2007 to see whether this issue is caused by using the features in Office 2010.

You can get more detail from article below:
    Running Solutions in Different Versions of Microsoft Office

Best regards

Fei

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Thursday, May 29, 2014 2:17 AM
  • Thanks Fei,

I am now able to run the office 2007 Word addin using the visual studio 2010.It is getting initialized properly when i am debugging using visual studio.

However, when i am creating the required registry entry , the loadbehaviour is set to 0, after i open the word doc.

I have created the correct registry entry as mentioned below

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Office\Word\Addins\Block.Word]
    "Description"="BlockNewWord"
    "FriendlyName"="blockNewWord"
    "Manifest"="file:///C:\\Program Files\\B.Lock\\Agent\\bin\\BlockWord07.vsto|vstolocal"

LoadBehavior is getting set to 0 after i open WORD.

I have also tried opening the file 'C:\\Program Files\\B.Lock\\Agent\\bin\\BlockWord07.vsto' and addin is getting initialized properly.

Let me know if i am missing any thing.

regards.

Pushpendra

Thursday, May 29, 2014 5:39 AM
  • I have resolved the issue...thanks anyways.

Pushpendra

Thursday, May 29, 2014 7:55 AM
  • Hi Pushpendra,

It is much appreciate if you can share the solution with us. So other communities will be benefit if they encounter the similar issue.

Best regards

Fei

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Thursday, May 29, 2014 8:17 AM
  • I changed the registry entry like this, and it works

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\Word\Addins\BLock.Word]
    "Description"="BlockWORD"
    "FriendlyName"="BlockWORD"
    "Manifest"="file:///C:\\Program Files\\B.Lock\\Agent\\bin\\BlockWord.vsto|vstolocal"

Pushpendra

Thursday, May 29, 2014 8:27 AM
  • Hi Fei,

Is there a reason why the registry entry created under current users work, but when created under HKLM doesnt work for office 07

When i create the same registry under HKLM for office 2010 , it is working fine.

regards

Pushpendra

Friday, May 30, 2014 11:01 AM
  • I found this link

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/976811/en-us

Pushpendra

Friday, May 30, 2014 11:36 AM