none
Image not displaying in header on some machines (except in Print Preview) RRS feed

• Question

• We've implemneted the solution for displaying images in headers/footers and it's been working well for some time.

However, recently during testing we've noted that the image sometimes does not display properly (it's just white space) EVEN THOUIGH we know the image is getting there (we can look at it with the ImageVisualizer, for example), AND it shows up in Print Preview on the same report invocation.

Weird.

Any thoughts on what might be happening, or how to work around this, or...???

TIA!

- Lance

Friday, August 10, 2007 4:49 PM

All replies

• I'm completely ignorant about what "the solution for displaying images in headers/footers" is, but here are some general questions, maybe somebody will spot something:

• the usual suspects: clarify whether this is local or server mode, win or web form?
    • image is embedded? or not?

Additional questions about your situation:

• when it fails, does it always fail on the same machines (ie what does "sometimes" mean in this context)?
    • what are the color depth, resolution, and image type of the images that fail? 
    • IOW: do the failures occur consistently on certain image types, sizes or even placement in the header, versus certain client machines?

>L<

Saturday, August 11, 2007 4:08 PM
  • PS Duh, you said "some machines" in your subject line, but my other questions still apply... and also, duh, now I see where you have referenced the image solution you are talking about ... http://forums.microsoft.com/MSDN/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=1501714&SiteID=1

>L<

Saturday, August 11, 2007 4:10 PM
  • This is localmode. Our app is written in C# .Net in VS05 Enterprise. We redist the runtime support.

The backend for our app is basically a SQL client-server implementation that both stores data and is used essenttially as a state machine.

We allow the customer (company) to optionally record their name/addie/etc, including an optional logo as a bmp.

At runtime we retrieve the cust info table. We had an issue where if no logo/bmp is defined and because of the indirection through the base64 [en/de]coding to get the image into the image control in the header, we were ending up with a broken image icon.

We worked aroud that by first checking that the table + row even exist, and dummying it up in the DS if not.

We then check the image (that is, Byte[]) column in the proper row of the DS, and initialize it to a new'ed Byhte[0] if it's not defined yet.

We next check if the image is defined. If not, we've hidden a default image in a hidden pixbox in the reportvieewers' hosting/parent form. If the cust has not defined an image we slurp that out of the form's resources and stuff it into the Byte[] field in the DS appropriately.

All that seems to work fine, at least on some/most machines. That is, whether there's a customer-defined logo bmp or not and whether or not we have to fix up the DS etc, it all works as intended on some/most platforms.

So that's the context and what we're up to.

The issue is that on certain machines the logo/bmp does not show up in the normal/default report view/rendering, and it seems to be independent of whether or not we are fixing up the DS and/or logo/bmp. We've walked through the code on the "bad" machines and the same code path is being followed, there's no uncuaght exceptions or error messages or diagnostics that we can identify, etc.

It's just that the logo/bmp does not show up, unless one does a print preview. It does show up in the proper place and properly rendered etc in the print preview but not on the normal/default view of the report.

That's where we're at. If you need more information by al means ask and I will provide. We appreciate very much the level of support, expertise, and information here in this forum. Would that we could get similar info/support for the nasty VIsta video problems out in the field, but that's a different thread for a different forum and a different day.

Monday, August 13, 2007 4:53 PM
  • I should also note...

We were having some DS issues in that certain fields were generating 1st chance exceptions at runtime (again hidden by all the kruft in the output window.)

But that seems to be tangential and unrelated, as the problem I've described in this thread has been observed both before and after we found and fixed the DS issues.

- Lance

Monday, August 13, 2007 4:58 PM
  • Lance, is it always a BMP or sometimes other image formats (jpg whatever)?

Anything interesting about res or color depth for those customer images? And if it fails on your default, same question for your default?

Anything interesting about the "host" application for those image types on the "bad" machines (IOW what apps on the bad machines are associated with them)?  Graphics capabilities would be my other suspect -- which is why I'm asking about res and color depth.

Sorry, not much help I know...

>L<

Monday, August 13, 2007 5:15 PM
  • To the best of my knowledge it's always a bmp. At least in my little dev/test universe it is, as I control what goes into the DBs.

I'd not thought about res, color depth, and app associations etc, but later today or tomorrow I'll check that out.

Anyways, don't apologize, you help out a lot and any input or thoughts or clues or whatever are appreciated...

- Lance

Monday, August 13, 2007 10:21 PM
  • I hope this helps. We have been seeing similar results, some system show the icons some do not. All systems can print and view the icons but some cannot see the images on the report viewer. At first we tried differents image sources (embedded, project, and web). All sources worked the same. I found if in the trusted sites I added the reporting services URL the image would show. I did not like this solution because when the user opened the report they were prompted with something about trusted sites.

I then tried adding the RS URL to Per Site Privacy actions. This works, the images display and the user is not questioned about trusted sites. (Tool, Internet Options, Privacy Tab, Sites). This works on IE 6, have not tested on IE 7

More information about our site. Our reporting site consists of two webservers. One authenticates the users and allows them to choose their report and parameters. The second site is the reporting service server.

Friday, August 17, 2007 2:00 PM
  • Hmmmm... Our solution is localmode (reports as plugins for our flagship app suite.)

However, you have given me something else to think about (security settings, ACLs, etc etc.)

Friday, August 17, 2007 2:21 PM
  • Oh, cool!  I didn't even think about the security aspect because your app uses winform (right?) rather than webforms...

Reading your description again, you said that the logo shows up in a print preview but ... this isn't a "shows up second time" thing is it?  IOW, in normal mode, if you refresh, would it show up then?

>L<

Friday, August 17, 2007 2:54 PM
  • just and fyi...

You gave me an idea. I did a print preview, canceled out of the window and hit refresh for my report. Strange enough my icon showed up in my report. I closed out of my browswer and when I reran the report the icon was gone again.  

Friday, August 17, 2007 4:59 PM
  • Yup -- thought that might happen.  It isn't print preview per se --  It's the second hit that's giving it to you.  I don't know why, of course, just that this is a pattern we see around here sometimes...

>L<

Friday, August 17, 2007 6:00 PM
  • Personally I'm also a little skeptical that securty/ACLs/etc would play a role for localmode reports, unless of course one is snagging an image from the HD.

In which case there might be issues, but even at that those ought to show up as FS errors during the RV operations, rather than a broken or missing bmp.

And we're getting our images either from a customer info table (if they defined one) or using our company logo as a default (Heh! A little free advertisement, about half the size of a postage stamp...)

Nonetheless I'm not discounting anything until I understand the issues here...

I've fooled around with the refresh and doing print previews and then cancelling them, but can't say I've followed the exact steps you folks describe. I'll give that a try.

I apologize for sometimes not running off and promptly trying things folks suggest... We just shipped and we were/are starting this Reporting effort as ship wound down (Ha! Like that ever really happens...)

Anyways, right now we're moving in about ten directions and refactoring/hacking through piles of code in preperation for version N+1, etc etc. And I'm rambling... I've had more than enough sleep and caffeine, but it's been a long few weeks and the ole noggin is getting pretty foggy.. Sighhh...

Friday, August 17, 2007 10:48 PM