VS 2015 RC1 - Most Recend Used List broken RRS feed

• Question

• I'm currently working on my extension (a custom start page) to get it ready for the Visual Studio 2015 release.

I found an issue regarding the MRU list, a control provided by Microsoft - it seems to be partially broken.
    I already created a issue on GitHub for this on the project side (https://github.com/Herdo/SolutionStartPage/issues/5), but I'll explain it here, too:

The MRU list is displaying the recent projects/solutions correctly, and also the context menus of the single entries are displaying. However, neither the context menu item to open the solution or to open the directory are working.

The worst: Even just clicking on any item in the MRU list doesn't open the reffered solution.

The code for the MRU list is the same as in the 2013 version:

xmlns:platformUi="clr-namespace:Microsoft.VisualStudio.PlatformUI;assembly=Microsoft.VisualStudio.Shell.12.0"

<platformUi:MruListBox Grid.Row="1"
                           Margin="-28,0,0,0"
                           DataContext="{Binding RecentProjects}"
                           ItemsSource="{Binding Path=Items}"
                           Background="Transparent"
                           BorderThickness="0"
                           AutomationProperties.AutomationId="MruList"/>

I already tried to use the Microsoft.VisualStudio.Shell.12.0 version, but there, the MRU list doesn't work at all.

Thursday, May 14, 2015 9:31 AM

Answers

• Hi Chaillen,

to bad it's not working correctly on your machine. I didn't get any bug report since the VS 2015 supporting version was released. I cleaned all files required for debugging the extension and made a clean installation - it wokrs fine.
    But as it is an issue, could you please run the IDE with the installed extension using the /log command line switch? This would help resolving the main problem after all.

The DataContex for the control is correct, returning the correct path for the solution file:

But I finally figured the heck out - but I'm curious wtf is wrong there.
    To report an issue on the MSDN documentation, shall I use the same site? (https://connect.microsoft.com/VisualStudio)

It looks like the VS2015 RC MruListBox class requires both references, the one to Microsoft.VisualStudio.Shell.14.0 for the correct item templates, and the Microsoft.VisualStudio.Shell.12.0 for the correct list template.

Using this, it works (somehow):

xmlns:platformUi="clr-namespace:Microsoft.VisualStudio.PlatformUI;assembly=Microsoft.VisualStudio.Shell.12.0"
    xmlns:platformUi14="clr-namespace:Microsoft.VisualStudio.PlatformUI;assembly=Microsoft.VisualStudio.Shell.14.0"

<!-- Using platformUi14 for the MRU list, but platformUi for EVERYTHING else -->

<platformUi14:MruListBox Grid.Row="1"
                             Margin="-28,0,0,0"
                             Background="Transparent"
                             BorderThickness="0"

Tbh, this is really messed up and should either be seperated, or at least pointed out in the Remarks section of the MSDN article.

Kind regards,
    Stefan Over

• Edited by Herdo Monday, May 18, 2015 4:40 PM Fixed hyperlinks
    • Marked as answer by Herdo Monday, May 18, 2015 4:40 PM
    Friday, May 15, 2015 10:59 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Sorry but I failed to reproduce this problem because after I download and installed extension "Solution Start Page" with VS2015RC, the start page crashes the IDE, I'm not able to see your custom start page. I can't build your source code on GitHub either because the solution needs all VS2010,2013,2015 to be installed on the same machine.

If you're sure it's the problem with the MRU list control in VS2015RC, I recommend that you submit this problem in Visual Studio Connect here:

https://connect.microsoft.com/VisualStudio

Thanks for your understanding.

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Friday, May 15, 2015 6:12 AM
  • Hi Chaillen,

to bad it's not working correctly on your machine. I didn't get any bug report since the VS 2015 supporting version was released. I cleaned all files required for debugging the extension and made a clean installation - it wokrs fine.
    But as it is an issue, could you please run the IDE with the installed extension using the /log command line switch? This would help resolving the main problem after all.

The DataContex for the control is correct, returning the correct path for the solution file:

But I finally figured the heck out - but I'm curious wtf is wrong there.
    To report an issue on the MSDN documentation, shall I use the same site? (https://connect.microsoft.com/VisualStudio)

It looks like the VS2015 RC MruListBox class requires both references, the one to Microsoft.VisualStudio.Shell.14.0 for the correct item templates, and the Microsoft.VisualStudio.Shell.12.0 for the correct list template.

Using this, it works (somehow):

xmlns:platformUi14="clr-namespace:Microsoft.VisualStudio.PlatformUI;assembly=Microsoft.VisualStudio.Shell.14.0"

<!-- Using platformUi14 for the MRU list, but platformUi for EVERYTHING else -->

<platformUi14:MruListBox Grid.Row="1"
                             Margin="-28,0,0,0"
                             Background="Transparent"
                             BorderThickness="0"

Tbh, this is really messed up and should either be seperated, or at least pointed out in the Remarks section of the MSDN article.

Kind regards,
    Stefan Over

• Edited by Herdo Monday, May 18, 2015 4:40 PM Fixed hyperlinks
    • Marked as answer by Herdo Monday, May 18, 2015 4:40 PM
    Friday, May 15, 2015 10:59 AM
  • To report an issue on the MSDN documentation, shall I use the same site? (https://connect.microsoft.com/VisualStudio)

Yes, please.

The Visual Studio Extension related documents still have many errors, and seems that documents for VS2015 are not updated completely.

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Monday, May 18, 2015 8:44 AM
  • Ticket opened.

Thanks for your help, Chaillen.

Monday, May 18, 2015 4:45 PM