Subscribing to Android NFC plain text

Question

• Hi,

I'm trying to write a Windows 8 Metro application that can send and receive plain text data to and from an Android phone.

So far I've been able to send the text data from my computer to the phone only.

I've tried numerous Android apps to create and share plain text data. When I try to send this data to my Windows 8 computer all I get is a small pop up window on the top right corner of my screen saying something like "another device wants to share data with you", when I click on this it opens a link to Google Play giving an option to download whatever app I used to share the data.

I'm writing the Metro app on C# and have used mainly the code given in this sample. In the 'SubscribeForMessageButton_Click' event handler I've tried to subscribe to almost every message type listed under 'message types' on this page but none appear to work.

Is there another message type I should subscribe to?

Has anyone successfully subscribed to and received plain text from an Android phone?

Thanks,

Gary

Tuesday, June 19, 2012 11:04 AM

Answers

• Hi Gary,

Do you know what the Android app is sending? You need to match what you are listening for to what the application is sending.

--Rob

Thursday, June 21, 2012 1:01 AM
    Owner
  • You can try subscribing to just NDEF, then you'd need to examine the NDEF records to see what you are receiving. If you subscribe to NDEF and don't receive anything when tapping your Android device, then the device is not sending standards compliant content.

-Mike [MSFT]

Wednesday, July 11, 2012 1:27 AM

All replies

• Hi Gary,

Do you know what the Android app is sending? You need to match what you are listening for to what the application is sending.

--Rob

Thursday, June 21, 2012 1:01 AM
    Owner
  • Hi Rob,

Thanks for your reply. In all the app's I've tried I've selected the option to send "plain text". 

I would have thought subscribing for NDEF:MIME.text/plain or something similar should work.

Thanks,

Gary

Thursday, June 21, 2012 9:15 AM
  • You can try subscribing to just NDEF, then you'd need to examine the NDEF records to see what you are receiving. If you subscribe to NDEF and don't receive anything when tapping your Android device, then the device is not sending standards compliant content.

-Mike [MSFT]

Wednesday, July 11, 2012 1:27 AM