Few questions about SQL Azure Data Sync RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I have recently started using Azure and am linking it so far. One of the features I recently discovered was SQL Azure Data Sync. It looks very appealing at first glance and if it works well can be a huge time saver. I had a few questions as I am getting started:

- When will SQL Azure Data Sync be live (production ready)?

- Does it work well with SQL Server 2008 R2? Meaning if one of the hubs or members is an SQL Server 2008 R2 , is that going to be an issue? 

- While setting up a hub and member, I see the following error message: DataReader.GetFieldType(6) returned null when I select the tables I want to sync and press "Next". I'm going to play with this and maybe reduce the number of tables to isolate which one(s) are causing that error but wanted to check if this was a known issue.

Thanks

Jaspreet

Tuesday, July 19, 2011 4:15 PM

Answers

• Hi Jaspreet

The version of Data Sync on SQL Azure Labs is CTP1.  CTP2 is available which will sync data between SQL Server and SQL Azure databases as well as between SQL Azure databases.

CTP2 is closed for new sign-ups, but I can try and get you access if you would like it.  Contact me - mark.scurrell at microsoft.com

There are some limitations on data types - spatial, hierarchy id and user-defined types are not supported yet.

Regards, Mark

Thursday, August 18, 2011 4:06 PM

All replies

• >> Does it work well with SQL Server 2008 R2? Meaning if one of the hubs or members is an SQL Server 2008 R2 , is that going to be an issue?

DATA SYNC CTP2 can sync on premise sql server version with SQL Azure. it's a great tool!

which CTP version are you using?

Paras Doshi ( Blog | Twitter
    Tuesday, July 19, 2011 4:41 PM
  • I tried a simple case where I added only one table for synchronization. When I do that and press "next" I get the following message: 

Scope is currently being provisioned

and it doesn't look like its going away (been up for a while now).

Any ideas on whats going on?

Thanks

Jaspreet 

Tuesday, July 19, 2011 4:42 PM
  • Yes, I know it can be used for sync'ing on-premise and cloud databases. I was wondering if the specific version I mentioned was supported. The version of SQL Azure Data Sync I am using is the one available here: https://datasync.sqlazurelabs.com. Not sure which CTP that is. 

Thanks

Jaspreet

Tuesday, July 19, 2011 9:39 PM
  • it should work with Sql 2008 R2.

for the error you encountered on your first post, can you confirm your data types? check out the data types supported here: http://social.technet.microsoft.com/wiki/contents/articles/sql-azure-data-sync-supported-sql-azure-data-types.aspx

Scope is currently being provisioned - you get this error if the sync group you have just created is still being provisioned. have you tried creating a new sync group?

Wednesday, July 20, 2011 1:24 AM
    Answerer
  • Re: the first error: DataReader.GetFieldType(6) returned null. the issue is probably with tables that have spatial columns, which are not supported. 

Re: the second error: Scope is currently being provisioned, (technically I am not sure it is an error, its just that the website displays that messages and doesn't do anything else). This happens during the creation of a new group. I select the hub and member, choose one table to sync (to keep it simple). The message is shown (scope is currently being provisioned) and thats it. I see no "done" message and the group is never created.

Thanks

Jaspreet 

Sunday, July 24, 2011 5:37 AM
  • have you checked the logs for any error?
    Monday, July 25, 2011 3:09 AM
    Answerer
  • I was trying to create the group on this site: https://datasync.sqlazurelabs.com and dont see an option to view logs. Can you point me to where I can? 

Thanks

Jaspreet

Friday, July 29, 2011 12:10 AM
  • Hi Jaspreet

The version of Data Sync on SQL Azure Labs is CTP1.  CTP2 is available which will sync data between SQL Server and SQL Azure databases as well as between SQL Azure databases.

CTP2 is closed for new sign-ups, but I can try and get you access if you would like it.  Contact me - mark.scurrell at microsoft.com

There are some limitations on data types - spatial, hierarchy id and user-defined types are not supported yet.

Regards, Mark

Thursday, August 18, 2011 4:06 PM