VS2008 Setup Project bundles lower version of vcredist_x86.exe, leads to 0x0150002 on app start RRS feed

• Question

• I created a setup project with Visual Studio 2008 professional (RTM, not SP1) to make a Windows installer for my application. All the code and dependent DLLS are built on another development machine but with the same VS version (i.e. Visual Studio 2008 professional 9.0.21022.8 RTM). When launch my application on a client machine, I get the error message "The application was unable to start correctly (0x0150002). Click OK to close the application".

Using Dependency Walker, I find my application depends on MSVCP90.DLL and MSVCR90.DLL 9.00.30729.6871. In Windows explorer, I find the version of  the file vcredist_x86.exe included in the installer is 9.0.21022.218. This file is actually identical to C:\Program
    Files\Microsoft SDKs\Windows\v6.0A\Bootstrapper\Packages\vcredist_x86\vcredist_x86.exe.

I suspect the version of the file vcredist_x86.exe is too old. Could anyone give some help, thanks.

Wednesday, September 21, 2016 2:10 AM

Answers

• It seems that installing VS 2008 SP1 and subsequent updates to the way to go. The file vcredist_x86.exe will be upgraded to 9.0.30729.5677. Now my application can launch on deployment machines successfully.
    • Marked as answer by Leonard Saturday, September 24, 2016 7:48 AM
    • Edited by Leonard Saturday, September 24, 2016 7:49 AM
    Saturday, September 24, 2016 7:48 AM

All replies

• Hi Leonard,

Welcome to the MSDN forum.

>>I created a setup project with Visual Studio 2008 professional (RTM, not SP1) to make a Windows installer for my application.

How did you created your setup installer? Using the ClickOnce, Wix or Installshield...

Best regards,

Sara

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place. Click HERE to participate the survey.

Wednesday, September 21, 2016 5:42 AM
  • In Visual Studio 2008 professional, choose menu item "File, New, Project". In the "New Project" dialog, navigate to "Other Project Types, Setup and Deployment" for the "Project types" group, on the "Templates" group on the right, choose "Setup Project".
    Wednesday, September 21, 2016 9:59 AM
  • Hi Leonard,

Thank you for your update.

Refer to your description, you have issue about the setup project. Since our forum is to discuss the Visual Studio Setup and Installation, I will help you move it to the appropriate forum: https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/windows/en-US/home?forum=winformssetup for dedicated information, you will get a more professional support from there, thank you for your understanding.

Best regards,

Sara

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place. Click HERE to participate the survey.

Thursday, September 22, 2016 8:44 AM
  • Hi Leonard,

I understand that you are facing the issue on Visual C++ 2008 when using  Install Shield to setup an application.

I suggest you to go through the below methods:

Method 1: You can uninstall any existing Microsoft Visual C++ Redistributable Package and install the Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 Redistributable Package to check if it helps. 

Download link is for X64:https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=15336

Download link is for X86:https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=29

Method 2: You can install the VS2008  sp1 or later .

Best Regards,

Friday, September 23, 2016 9:00 AM
  • Thank you. But downloading Visual C++ redistributable packages does not work. Every time I build the setup project, the file vcredist_x86.exe remains the same. It is same as C:\Program
    Files\Microsoft SDKs\Windows\v6.0A\Bootstrapper\Packages\vcredist_x86\vcredist_x86.exe.

I'll try to install VS 2008 SP1 to see if it works.

Friday, September 23, 2016 10:09 AM
  • It seems that installing VS 2008 SP1 and subsequent updates to the way to go. The file vcredist_x86.exe will be upgraded to 9.0.30729.5677. Now my application can launch on deployment machines successfully.
    • Marked as answer by Leonard Saturday, September 24, 2016 7:48 AM
    • Edited by Leonard Saturday, September 24, 2016 7:49 AM
    Saturday, September 24, 2016 7:48 AM