none
SQL Server 2016 install fails.

Question

• I have been trying to install the developer edition of SQL Server 2016 and I get the generic error (below - see logs). Interesting I had the same issue on this same laptop (ACER Aspire R3-471TG) with RC2 of SQL Server 2016, however RC3 installed without issue. I did post about this RC2 issue (see https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/sqlserver/en-US/73f84ce8-7c69-41e1-832c-8a5828dd0fd7/rc2-install-errors?forum=SQLServer2016Preview).

I have found some stuff on account privileges which has a similar error, but this is not the error in this case. 

FYI - I have tried installing maybe 6 times today with different settings and running as admin as well. A generic MS response I suggest would not be helpful. Please note RC3 was running without issue up until yesterday.

Feature:                       Database Engine Services
      Reason for failure:            An error occurred during the setup process of the feature.
      Next Step:                     Use the following information to resolve the error, uninstall this feature, and then run the setup process again.
      Component name:                SQL Server Database Engine Services Instance Features
      Component error code:          -2147467261
      Error description:             Object reference not set to an instance of an object.

Looking at the detailed logs I get 

(01) 2016-12-11 19:10:56 Slp: Sco: Attempting to dispose script
    (01) 2016-12-11 19:10:56 Slp: Sco: Attempting to disconnect script
    (01) 2016-12-11 19:10:56 Slp: Current SqlServer Connection closed...
    (01) 2016-12-11 19:10:56 Slp: Configuration action failed for feature SQL_Engine_Core_Inst during timing ConfigRC and scenario ConfigRC.
    (01) 2016-12-11 19:10:56 Slp: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
    (01) 2016-12-11 19:10:56 Slp: The configuration failure category of current exception is ConfigurationFailure
    (01) 2016-12-11 19:10:56 Slp: Configuration action failed for feature SQL_Engine_Core_Inst during timing ConfigRC and scenario ConfigRC.

Sunday, December 11, 2016 9:39 AM

All replies

• Good day,

Let me start with the old thread :-)

1. I saw that you did not get answer in the old thread. Is this correct and you never succeed to  install version RC2 or did you found a way to install it?

2. I saw that you uninstall SQL Server 2014 in order to get clean installation of SQL Server 2016. This is something that you do not have to do. You can have several instances of SQL Server on the same machine. There are some shared services/tools but the main Engine and feature are working without relations. In my developing machine I have SQL Server 2008r2,2014, and 2016 for example.

3. do you see any "Access is denied" in the log file?
    Can you add the log file, it might help... this is why we have it.

signature   Ronen Ariely
     [Personal Site]    [Blog]    [Facebook]    [Linkedin]

Sunday, December 11, 2016 6:43 PM
  • Hi BennyWa,

From what I see, the issue might related to your .net framework installation. In this case, I would suggest you repair your .net framework installation with .net framework repair tool first see if it helps. If the issue persists, I would suggest you upload the complete SQL Server installation log to OneDrive and share the link here so we can have a better understanding about the issue.

If you have any other questions, please let me know.

Regards,
    Lin

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Monday, December 12, 2016 3:13 AM
  • Never got RC2 to install. RC3 worked however so I stopped trying with RC2.

With SQL Server 2014 - I was just trying anything that I could think of to get it to work. I made no difference if it was installed or not. Just made a point that I could install 2014 and thus by implication is was something particular to 2016.

I dont see any Access denied in the log file - I wish it was that simple. I noted that there were a number of posts that had 'Configuration action failed for feature SQL_Engine_Core_Inst during timing ConfigRC and scenario ConfigRC.'followed by Access Denied.

In this case the error that follows is Object reference not set to an instance of an object.

Monday, December 12, 2016 1:17 PM
  • Hi Lin,

Let me try the .NET repair.

Ben

Monday, December 12, 2016 1:17 PM
  • Hi Lin,

No joy with the .NET idea. One drive link below with all the logs. 

https://1drv.ms/f/s!ArokGRumr2aKa9OlvNq2NSS9MOQ

I had a browse of all the files. Nothing pop out as a possible reason. 

Monday, December 12, 2016 11:47 PM
  • Hi Lin,

Have you had a chance to look at the logs yet?. This i getting quite frustrating. 

Regards

Ben

Wednesday, December 14, 2016 9:51 PM
  • Hi BennyWa,

I’ve went through the log file you uploaded, and it seems the issue is that the setup process cannot connect to database engine after it has been installed(so the following configuration phase fails). I also noticed it’s using named pipes to connect to database engine, so could that be the issue? Just a wild guess here, is that possible named pipes is disabled in SQL Native Client configuration?

If you have any other questions, please let me know.

Regards,

Lin

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

• Proposed as answer by pituachMVP Sunday, December 18, 2016 4:22 PM
    Thursday, December 15, 2016 10:29 AM
  • Hi Lin,

I did a lot of testing over the weekend. I tried changing the setting on the named pipes did not seem to make any issue. However I do agree that it seems to we some sort of connection issue. One thing to note is the SQL Server is up and running after the install process - so the issue seems to be some kind of DNS type issue. I was trying to start the server with the -m startup setting to back door into the server. If I do that sqlcmd -S SQLSERVER2016 I get a load of errors regarding unable to open a connection. If I ping SQLSERVER2016 it says that it can not find the host. In SSMS It does see the server but valid accounts to log in.FYI - I can ping external website with out isssue

What I think is happening is that the set up process fails to create a valid DNS entry and everything post that fails and that includes the setting up of sa and administrator accounts. I am not a network or PC tech guy and a bit lost to work out what component on the laptop is failing to recognise the server. Tools such as SQL Server Configuration Manager can see the server however. 

The other thing that I tried over the weekend was to uninstall anything that referred to SQL Server. Also made sure that there were no permission issues reading and writing to my profile. My conclusion it that it is not profile related. 

Anything else that I could try?

Ben Watson

Monday, December 19, 2016 12:17 AM
  • Hi Ben and Lin,

I have been having very similar problems trying to install SQL Server 2016 Express, on my HP Envy laptop, running Windows 10 64 bit Home edition. I have 16GB of RAM and 93GB free file space on C:.

Today (5 April 2017) I downloaded SQLEXPRADV_x64_ENU.exe from the MS web site, then tried several times to install the expanded SETUP.EXE by right-clicking and running as Administrator.  Initially I accepted all the default options and accepted the conditions to use R services.  The last time I used the options suggested on http://www.sqlcoffee.com/SQLServer2016_0001.htm, after checking all the advised prerequisites. Each time the install failed with the progress bar at 100%.  For the last 2 attempts I had my Windows firewall turned off.  After a delay of several minutes with very low CPU and disk activity, the install terminates with a status screen of "Complete with failures" with the following features failed: Reporting services - native, Database engine services, Full text and semantics extractions for search, R services (in-database), SQL server replication (see 'Complete with Failures #2.jpg').  An error window (see error.txt) report the error as "Object reference not set to an instance of an object??" (that I assume to the the NullReferenceException listed in detail.txt as exception #1.

I have uploaded logs of the last attempt to https://www.dropbox.com/sh/hj1mfoan4qegrf5/AADDfBlSwLQrZNAOubRVAN5wa?dl=0.  Looking in the 'Detail.txt' log, I can see the following 2 exceptions:

1) At Line 40521 is a System.OverflowException following an attempt to connect to SQL with "Connection string: Data Source=\\.\pipe\SQLLocal\SQLEXPRESS;Initial Catalog=master;Integrated Security=True;Pooling=False;Connect Timeout=300;Network Library=dbnmpntw;Application Name=SqlSetup".  Later I followed Lin's advise and checked using the Configuration Manager tool that named pipes are enabled.  I believe this to be the fundamental cause.

Attempting to connect to the SQL server from the Management Studio fails with error 18456.

2) At line 40610 is a System.NullReferenceException, reporting SQL.Setup.FailureCategory = ConfigurationFailure

I also have the PostgresSQL server installed, which I need to retain.

Thanks

Dave

Wednesday, April 5, 2017 1:04 PM
  • Hi Dave,

Could you share the detail log (under %programfiles%\Microsoft sql server\130\setup bootstrap\log\{log_session})?

Thanks!

Jeff

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Thursday, April 6, 2017 10:10 PM
  • I have the same errors as FAILED when I tried to install SQL Server 2016 in Wndows 10, 64 bit.  I am so frustrating as I am a normal user trying to use the SQL server 2016 to practice a SQL course.  Any help to fix this is very appreciated. I tried repair and did not work.

This is my error log:

Overall summary:
      Final result:                  Failed: see details below
      Exit code (Decimal):           -2068578302
      Start time:                    2017-06-20 23:01:34
      End time:                      2017-06-20 23:04:29
      Requested action:              Repair
    Setup completed with required actions for features.
    Troubleshooting information for those features:
      Next step for SQLEngine:       Use the following information to resolve the error, and then try the setup process again.
      Next step for FullText:        Use the following information to resolve the error, and then try the setup process again.
      Next step for AdvancedAnalytics: Use the following information to resolve the error, and then try the setup process again.
      Next step for Replication:     Use the following information to resolve the error, and then try the setup process again.
      Next step for RS:              Use the following information to resolve the error, and then try the setup process again.

Machine Properties:
      Machine name:                  DESKTOP-N4G2B2S
      Machine processor count:       4
      OS version:                    Microsoft Windows 10 Home (10.0.15063)
      OS service pack:              
      OS region:                     United States
      OS language:                   English (United States)
      OS architecture:               x64
      Process architecture:          64 Bit
      OS clustered:                  No
    Product features discovered:
      Product              Instance             Instance ID                    Feature                                  Language             Edition              Version         Clustered  Configured
      SQL Server 2016      SQLEXPRESS           MSSQL13.SQLEXPRESS             Database Engine Services                 1033                 Express Edition      13.1.4202.2     No         Yes      
      SQL Server 2016      SQLEXPRESS           MSSQL13.SQLEXPRESS             SQL Server Replication                   1033                 Express Edition      13.1.4202.2     No         Yes      
      SQL Server 2016      SQLEXPRESS           MSSQL13.SQLEXPRESS             Full-Text and Semantic Extractions for Search 1033                 Express Edition      13.1.4001.0     No         Yes      
      SQL Server 2016      SQLEXPRESS           MSSQL13.SQLEXPRESS             R Services (In-Database)                 1033                 Express Edition      13.1.4202.2     No         Yes      
      SQL Server 2016      SQLEXPRESS           MSSQL13.SQLEXPRESS             sql_inst_mr                              1033                 Express Edition      13.1.4202.2     No         Yes      
      SQL Server 2016      SQLEXPRESS           MSRS13.SQLEXPRESS              Reporting Services - Native              1033                 Express Edition      13.1.4202.2     No         Yes      
      SQL Server 2016                                                          Client Tools Connectivity                1033                                      13.0.14500.10   No         Yes      
      SQL Server 2016                                                          Client Tools Backwards Compatibility     1033                                      13.0.14500.10   No         Yes      
      SQL Server 2016                                                          Client Tools SDK                         1033                                      13.0.14500.10   No         Yes      
      SQL Server 2016                                                          LocalDB                                  1033                 Express Edition      13.1.4202.2     No         Yes      
    Package properties:
      Description:                   Microsoft SQL Server 2016
      ProductName:                   SQL Server 2016
      Type:                          RTM
      Version:                       13
      SPLevel:                       0
      Installation location:         C:\SQLServer2016Media\ExpressAdv\x64\setup\
      Installation edition:          Express
    User Input Settings:
      ACTION:                        Repair
      AGTDOMAINGROUP:                <empty>
      AGTSVCACCOUNT:                 <empty>
      AGTSVCPASSWORD:                <empty>
      AGTSVCSTARTUPTYPE:             Manual
      ASCONFIGDIR:                   Config
      ASSVCACCOUNT:                  <empty>
      ASSVCPASSWORD:                 <empty>
      ASTELSVCACCT:                  <empty>
      ASTELSVCPASSWORD:              <empty>
      ASTELSVCSTARTUPTYPE:           0
      CLTSTARTUPTYPE:                0
      CLTSVCACCOUNT:                 <empty>
      CLTSVCPASSWORD:                <empty>
      CONFIGURATIONFILE:            
      CTLRSTARTUPTYPE:               0
      CTLRSVCACCOUNT:                <empty>
      CTLRSVCPASSWORD:               <empty>
      ENU:                           true
      EXTSVCACCOUNT:                 NT Service\MSSQLLaunchpad$SQLEXPRESS
      EXTSVCPASSWORD:                <empty>
      FAILOVERCLUSTERGROUP:          <empty>
      FAILOVERCLUSTERNETWORKNAME:    <empty>
      FTSVCACCOUNT:                  NT Service\MSSQLFDLauncher$SQLEXPRESS
      FTSVCPASSWORD:                 <empty>
      HELP:                          false
      IACCEPTROPENLICENSETERMS:      false
      INDICATEPROGRESS:              false
      INSTANCENAME:                  SQLEXPRESS
      ISSVCACCOUNT:                  NT AUTHORITY\Network Service
      ISSVCPASSWORD:                 <empty>
      ISSVCSTARTUPTYPE:              Automatic
      ISTELSVCACCT:                  <empty>
      ISTELSVCPASSWORD:              <empty>
      ISTELSVCSTARTUPTYPE:           0
      MRCACHEDIRECTORY:             
      QUIET:                         false
      QUIETSIMPLE:                   false
      SQLSVCACCOUNT:                 NT Service\MSSQL$SQLEXPRESS
      SQLSVCPASSWORD:                <empty>
      SQLTELSVCACCT:                 NT Service\SQLTELEMETRY$SQLEXPRESS
      SQLTELSVCPASSWORD:             <empty>
      SQLTELSVCSTARTUPTYPE:          Automatic
      SUPPRESSPRIVACYSTATEMENTNOTICE: false
      UIMODE:                        AutoAdvance
      X86:                           false
      Configuration file:            C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\130\Setup Bootstrap\Log\20170620_230133\ConfigurationFile.ini
    Detailed results:
      Feature:                       Client Tools Connectivity
      Feature:                       Client Tools SDK
      Feature:                       Client Tools Backwards Compatibility
      Feature:                       Database Engine Services
      Reason for failure:            An error occurred during the setup process of the feature.
      Next Step:                     Use the following information to resolve the error, and then try the setup process again.
      Component name:                SQL Server Database Engine Services Instance Features
      Component error code:          0x84B40002
      Error description:             The SQL Server feature 'SQL_Engine_Core_Inst' is not in a supported state for repair, as it was never successfully configured. Only features from successful installations can be repaired. To continue, remove the specified SQL Server feature.
      Error help link:               http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink?LinkId=20476&ProdName=Microsoft+SQL+Server&EvtSrc=setup.rll&EvtID=50000&ProdVer=13.0.4202.2&EvtType=0x2841E06E%401204%402&EvtType=0x2841E06E%401204%402
      Feature:                       Full-Text and Semantic Extractions for Search
      Reason for failure:            An error occurred for a dependency of the feature causing the setup process for the feature to fail.
      Next Step:                     Use the following information to resolve the error, and then try the setup process again.
      Component name:                SQL Server Database Engine Services Instance Features
      Error description:             The SQL Server feature 'SQL_Engine_Core_Inst' is not in a supported state for repair, as it was never successfully configured. Only features from successful installations can be repaired. To continue, remove the specified SQL Server feature.
      Error help link:               http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink?LinkId=20476&ProdName=Microsoft+SQL+Server&EvtSrc=setup.rll&EvtID=50000&ProdVer=13.0.4202.2&EvtType=0x2841E06E%401204%402&EvtType=0x2841E06E%401204%402
      Feature:                       R Services (In-Database)
      Reason for failure:            An error occurred for a dependency of the feature causing the setup process for the feature to fail.
      Feature:                       SQL Server Replication
      Feature:                       Reporting Services - Native
      Reason for failure:            An error occurred during the setup process of the feature.
      Component name:                SQL Server Reporting Services
      Error description:             The SQL Server feature 'RS_Server_Adv' is not in a supported state for repair, as it was never successfully configured. Only features from successful installations can be repaired. To continue, remove the specified SQL Server feature.
      Feature:                       SQL Browser
      Feature:                       Documentation Components
      Feature:                       SQL Writer
      Feature:                       LocalDB
      Feature:                       SQL Client Connectivity
      Feature:                       SQL Client Connectivity SDK
      Feature:                       Setup Support Files
    Rules with failures:
    Global rules:
    There are no scenario-specific rules.
    Rules report file:               C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\130\Setup Bootstrap\Log\20170620_230133\SystemConfigurationCheck_Report.htm

• Edited by Angelqueen Wednesday, June 21, 2017 3:35 AM
    Wednesday, June 21, 2017 3:21 AM
  • Hi Angelqueen,

Unfortunately the solution that I landed up with a complete wipe and reinstall of windows. It was not 100% by design - I started getting a lot of system error and eventually windows crashed. I did a clean reinstall window 10, then SQL server and it worked fine. All my data is on dropbox so no data loss. It is a bit painful, but perhaps worth it.

Good luck

Ben

Ben Watson

Wednesday, June 21, 2017 4:00 AM