How to cut pieces of an image? RRS feed

• Question

• Hello Everyone,

In Photoshop you can take a section tool and select portions of an image and delete them. How does that work in Expression Design4? I know you can auto trace an image for specific items, but if you wanted just to delete the top portion of an image for example.

Thank you for your help.

Monday, December 5, 2011 6:26 PM

All replies

• You can use 'clipping path' by creating a shape over the image for the portion you want to keep and use (menu)Objects > Make with top path (Control7)  If you want to make a bitmap copy of the clipped item, use Object>Image>Create image object and drag a selection box over it.

Cheers,

~Fred
    • Proposed as answer by Fred C_ Thursday, December 8, 2011 2:13 AM
    Wednesday, December 7, 2011 3:17 AM
  • Hi Fred,

Thank you very much for your help. I was hoping for a way like photoshop or other editors that take the select tool, select a part of an image and then delete it, but I guess Design doesn't do it that way.

I have done the clipping feature so I guess that is the closest I can get to what I needed.

Thank you again.

Thursday, December 8, 2011 4:50 AM
  • Being mainly a vector application versus PS's bitmap editor, things are slightly different.

You can use the pen tool in ED to draw a path, much the same as in PS. Lets say you have a rectangle in the middle of the page, you can draw another shape over it with the pen or paintbrush tool, then select both objects.

From there, it depends on which shape you wish to subtract from the other. Use the Object | Path Operations menu. Experiment with the various methods. Subtracting the front from the back is mostly like deleting a selection path in PS.

Take care, Mike

Thursday, December 8, 2011 7:00 AM