none
Windows 8 needs product key change before activation? RRS feed

• Question

• I just installed my first RTM version of Windows 8 into my Windows 2008 R2
    server and couldn't activate it because of "dns name not found".
    I did not ever enter a product key as I wasn't asked for one!

It was showing the end of a product key that wasn't the one I should have
    used. I did not find any way to change it and used Google to find out
    about slmgr.vbs. After changing the product key to the correct one
    activation was no problem.

File is en_windows_8_enterprise_x86_dvd_917587.iso

I've not seen this behavior with the pre release versions. They all asked
    me for the product key.

Questions:
    Why doesn't it ask for a product key during installation?
    Why doesn't it give an error message that is worth the name?
    Why doesn't it give an easy option for changing the product key?

IEFAQ: http://iefaq.info
    Thursday, October 18, 2012 6:42 PM

Answers

• Questions:

It's Enterprise edition, which is a Volume Licensing channel product. Same as for Win7 Enterprise (also VL), it comes pre-configured with a KMSclient product key already present.

The DNS name not found, is an accurate error, because a KMSclient will attempt to discover a KMShost via DNS lookup.

For VL products, KMShost / KMSclient *is* the easiest activation option, when deploying on a scale of more than 25 systems.

I agree with your last point, in that an easy-to-use GUI method for changing the product key is convenient, but the slmgr.vbs and also VAMT methods (as offered for Win7 and WinVista) are easy to use [once you know about them]

Only non-VL (i.e. Retail) channel products demand the entry of a product key (same as for Win7).

I guess the pre-release versions were configured in a kind of Retail mode, to make them easier for people to test with.

Don
    (Please take a moment to "Vote as Helpful" and/or "Mark as Answer", where applicable.
    This helps the community, keeps the forums tidy, and recognises useful contributions. Thanks!)

Friday, October 19, 2012 11:20 AM

All replies

• Questions:

It's Enterprise edition, which is a Volume Licensing channel product. Same as for Win7 Enterprise (also VL), it comes pre-configured with a KMSclient product key already present.

The DNS name not found, is an accurate error, because a KMSclient will attempt to discover a KMShost via DNS lookup.

For VL products, KMShost / KMSclient *is* the easiest activation option, when deploying on a scale of more than 25 systems.

I agree with your last point, in that an easy-to-use GUI method for changing the product key is convenient, but the slmgr.vbs and also VAMT methods (as offered for Win7 and WinVista) are easy to use [once you know about them]

Only non-VL (i.e. Retail) channel products demand the entry of a product key (same as for Win7).

I guess the pre-release versions were configured in a kind of Retail mode, to make them easier for people to test with.

Don
    (Please take a moment to "Vote as Helpful" and/or "Mark as Answer", where applicable.
    This helps the community, keeps the forums tidy, and recognises useful contributions. Thanks!)

Friday, October 19, 2012 11:20 AM
  • Thanks for the explanations. That all makes sense. I think the pre-release
    versions weren't Enterprise, so one didn't recognize this. I would have
    normally installed Pro, but after a comparison I decided I may like to try
    the Windows To Go option one day. That's the only reason why I downloaded
    that particular version. It didn't occur to me the preset key may be due
    to Enterprise.

IEFAQ: http://iefaq.info
    Friday, October 19, 2012 12:20 PM