none
Can I give custom rights to a specific document individually from a library

Question

• I have a document library where I have files that I dont want edited by everyone, so I am looking to give the edit rights only on specific documents to people.

I know that I can use the share button and give edit permissions to specific people, but i specifically want to create a separate custom rights that can be provided on individual docs to users.

Is that possible?

Tegsaran Sodhi

Sunday, February 26, 2017 2:58 PM

All replies

• Hi

yes, you can stop inheriting rights at folder and document level

for your document

select

Share with

Advanced

Next

Stop inheritance

and set permissions as you need

Romeo Donca, Orange Romania (MCSE, MCITP, CCNA) Please Mark As Answer if my post solves your problem or Vote As Helpful if the post has been helpful for you.

• Proposed as answer by croute1 Monday, February 27, 2017 9:03 PM
    Sunday, February 26, 2017 9:10 PM
  • Hi Sodhi,

As you said you want to create a separate custom rights that can be provided on individual docs to users “ here you can create a custom Permission level first” follow the steps as below.

You create and make changes to permission levels on the Permissions Levels page.

To create or make changes to permission levels, you must belong to a SharePoint group that includes the permission to Manage Permissions. By default, you have this permission if you belong to the Owners group or if you are a Site Collection Administrator.

1. On the top-level site of the site collection, click Settings Small Settings gear that took the place of Site Settings. > Site Settings.
    2. On the Site Settings page, in the Users and Permissions section, choose Site permissions.
    3. On the Permissions tab, in the Manage group, choose Permission Levels.

Choose Permission Levels page.

1. On the Permission Levels page, choose Add a Permission Level.
    2. On the Add a Permission Level page provide the name and the description.
    3. In the Permissions area, select the check boxes next to the list, site, and personal permissions that you want this permission level to include.
    4. Click Create.

You can make changes to any of the listed permissions levels, except Full Control and Limited Access.

Once you have custom permission level you can assign this to any user or group after breaking the role inheritance, here is the steps, see the video and follow same steps.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7-e574RS0uw

KRISHANA KUMAR

SharePoint Architect

Mosstechnet-kk.com

Please click "Mark As Answer" if this post solves your problem or "Vote As Helpful" if it was useful

Sunday, February 26, 2017 10:01 PM
  • Hi Tegsaran,

Have you achieved that?

Does the information resolve your issue?

If the reply helps you, please mark it as answer to help other users who meet the same issue in this forum.

Thanks,

Linda Zhang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Wednesday, March 01, 2017 8:31 AM