'ASP.NET Configuration' Feature Not Working RRS feed

• Question

• User-1691085593 posted

Hi

I recently formatted my Windows 8.1 laptop and installed Windows 10. Since reinstalling Visual Studio 2012, I am no longer able to access the 'ASP.NET configuration' feature via the project menu. This is a problem for me, as I use it to control my web app's users, roles, etc. When I select the .net config option, a web browser opens, but I get the following error...

Server Error in '/asp.netwebadminfiles' Application.

Compilation Error 
      Description: An error occurred during the compilation of a resource required to service this request. Please review the following specific error details and modify your source code appropriately. 

Compiler Error Message: CS0122: 'System.Configuration.StringUtil' is inaccessible due to its protection level

Source Error:

Line 987:
    Line 988:             // Put together some unique app id
    Line 989:             string appId = StringUtil.GetNonRandomizedHashCode(String.Concat(appPath, appPhysPath)).ToString("x", CultureInfo.InvariantCulture);
    Line 990:
    Line 991:

Source File: c:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework64\v4.0.30319\ASP.NETWebAdminFiles\App_Code\WebAdminPage.cs    Line: 989 

Compiler Warning Messages:

Show Detailed Compiler Output:

Show Complete Compilation Source:

Version Information: Microsoft .NET Framework Version:4.0.30319; ASP.NET Version:4.6.106.0 

Any idea what's going on here?

Thanks

Steve

Monday, October 5, 2015 11:37 AM

Answers

• User-166373564 posted

Hi Steve,

Thanks for your feedback.

steve_flynn

'System.Configuration.StringUtil' is inaccessible due to its protection level

According to the error message above, it seems that this issue is related to protection levels. Here are some information about protection levels, see: Accessibility Levels (C# Reference). Please follow the error message to check your application.

Perhaps it will help you fix it.

Regards,

Angie

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Monday, October 26, 2015 7:40 AM

All replies

• User281315223 posted

Are you running Visual Studio as an administrator or with administrative rights (i.e. Right-click > Run as Administrator)? This can sometimes resolve permission-based issues, which this appears to be.

Monday, October 5, 2015 1:37 PM
  • User-1691085593 posted

Are you running Visual Studio as an administrator or with administrative rights (i.e. Right-click > Run as Administrator)? This can sometimes resolve permission-based issues, which this appears to be.

Hi Rion

Thanks for the reply. Although my user is a domain admin, I wasn't launching via 'run as administrator'. However, I have since tried this and I get the same error.

Thanks

Steve

Tuesday, October 6, 2015 3:32 AM
  • User-166373564 posted

Hi,

Here are some suggestions:

1. Repair your VS 2012, and check whether it makes any difference.

2. Try Devenv.exe /SafeMode to starts Visual Studio in safe mode, loading only the default environment and services.

Please let me know if it still has same issue.

With regards,

Angie

Tuesday, October 6, 2015 5:42 AM
  • User-1691085593 posted

Hi Angie

Thanks for the input. I have run a repair and tried safe mode, but unfortunately, I'm still getting the same error.

Thanks

Steve

Tuesday, October 6, 2015 8:56 AM
  • User-166373564 posted

Hi Steve,

Thanks for your feedback.

steve_flynn

'System.Configuration.StringUtil' is inaccessible due to its protection level

According to the error message above, it seems that this issue is related to protection levels. Here are some information about protection levels, see: Accessibility Levels (C# Reference). Please follow the error message to check your application.

Perhaps it will help you fix it.

Regards,

Angie

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Monday, October 26, 2015 7:40 AM