Is Web Expression Blend 2 Appropriate For My Situation? RRS feed

• Question

• A few weeks ago I purchased Web Expression 2 for the purpuse of building a web site (no prior experience, but I have been in IT for over 15 years).  Things have been going very well and I love the product.  It dawned in me that I see web sites that have motion of objects on their pages.  I was wanting to draw a business logo and have it seamlessly "come together" by means of rotation, un-explode, or some manner of creativity!  I started looking at Silverlight and it seemed like a good fit for Expression.  But still I thought there must be a Microsoft tool for this?  I stumbled across Expression Blend 2 and it seems to fit the bill?  This may be absolute overkill but I can get the product in the student version for around $60 online.  I would rather spend that money and get something good rather than some freeware that leaves me discourged.  So please tell me if the product is reasonably suited for me to do motion graphics and what have you.  Also as a person that has easily grasped Web 2 will this be a great challenge?  My experience is that of a COBOL and Visual Basic programmer.  Ideas?  I thank all of your for your kind help that you have given on my previous comments!  Good day...
    Tuesday, February 3, 2009 9:41 PM

All replies

• MLRENKO said:

I was wanting to draw a business logo and have it seamlessly "come together" by means of rotation, un-explode, or some manner of creativity!

Sorry to burst your bubble, but Blend isn't really up to snuff for this just yet, especially in Silverlight. The best way to get a truly eye-popping effect would be to do it in After Effects, then bring it over as video or a swf. You could also do a decent-ish job of it in Flash, but at that point why bother with xaml?

That all said, if it's for anything commercial you should probably look at hiring a designer ;)
    • Proposed as answer by VLTII Thursday, February 5, 2009 3:58 PM
    Thursday, February 5, 2009 3:58 PM
  • VLTII is correct.  Blend really isn't up to really doing a lot of animation for websites yet.  The industry standard for animation is Flash right now but I have high hopes for Blend in the future of really giving Adobe a run for its money.

But, you're looking for results now of course.  Even if I recommend flash for your project, there is no way your going to be able to open the program and figure out how to work it.

VLTII is also correct in that you should hire a designer to do what you need done.

As far as expression web, its a great program and I have tabled my Dreamweaver for now.
    Thursday, February 5, 2009 10:07 PM