Virtual COM port driver over TCP RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I have a PC application  which communicates with the devices over many serial ports. Now the devices are connected over IP network to the PC and for this purpose, I want to make many virtual COM ports on the PC for each device. The communication over this virtual COM port should be passed to the device over the IP link.

This application is meant for Windows XP. Please let me know from where to start ? Also if this has to be a a kernel mode driver or user mode driver. Is the driver development kit downloadable?

Regards,

Nandan

Wednesday, May 18, 2011 4:35 PM

Answers

• The latest WDK contains sample of Virtual COM port.

Look at \WinDDK\7600.16385.1\src\serial\VirtualSerial

The sample is written by using UMDF. It means that it is an user mode driver. I suppose you could use regular user mode socket functions.

The sample doesn't do any real work on COM port. It emulates COM interface in RAM. You should replace low-level interface( queue.cpp) by your implementation.

Igor Sharovar

Wednesday, May 18, 2011 7:42 PM

All replies

• For the latest WinDDK you can try this link:
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/en/details.aspx?displaylang=en&FamilyID=36a2630f-5d56-43b5-b996-7633f2ec14ff

I don't think it requires an MSDN subscription.
    Gary G. Little NanoTelesis Systems, LLC
    Wednesday, May 18, 2011 6:15 PM
  • The latest WDK contains sample of Virtual COM port.

Look at \WinDDK\7600.16385.1\src\serial\VirtualSerial

The sample is written by using UMDF. It means that it is an user mode driver. I suppose you could use regular user mode socket functions.

The sample doesn't do any real work on COM port. It emulates COM interface in RAM. You should replace low-level interface( queue.cpp) by your implementation.

Igor Sharovar

Wednesday, May 18, 2011 7:42 PM
  • Thanks for the quick replies. Forgot to mention, I can  not modify PC application and thanks for the WinDDK link and pointer to sample serial port driver. Downloading of the WinDDK hasn't succeed, will be done by tomorrow and then will have a look at the code.

Regards,

Nandan

Thursday, May 19, 2011 10:12 AM
  • Got one solution from http://sourceforge.net/projects/com0com/ and planning to use it as of now for the Virtual serial port part. Any one has experience in using this?

Regards,

Nandan

Friday, May 20, 2011 4:59 PM