Two applications with SSO, application pool configuration? RRS feed

• Question

• User1652841436 posted

Hi there,

Our website is pretty busy, around 40k unique visits per day.

We have recently switched to Joomla & Xenforo forum and we developed a custom bridge for SSO and other stuff.

Joomla runs on root and Xenforo on /forum

My question is, should we run both applications via the same application pool, or should we use a dedicated application pool for each app?

Also, since the servers in the load balance have 2 Numa nodes (two physical CPUs) should we use 2 worker processes for each application, or perhaps CPU1 for Joomla and CPU2 for Xenforo?

We're also using Wincache (only for file system caching) and Opcache.

What would be the best configuration for performance and stability?

Thanks

Alex

Thursday, March 11, 2021 8:18 PM

All replies

• User1065476709 posted

Hi alexandros_k,

My question is, should we run both applications via the same application pool, or should we use a dedicated application pool for each app?

It depends on your own choice, If you run multiple applications under the same application pool, you can conserve significant amount of RAM and other resources as well. if each application has its own application pool, then it also has its advantages, such as if an application in one application pool fails, applications in other application pools are not affected and You can assign resource-intensive websites separate application pools so that the performance of other applications does not decrease. I suggest you use same application, same application has significant benefit of sharing the server resources. Therefore, If you have no specific reason for splitting them up, it's better to keep them together.

Also, since the servers in the load balance have 2 Numa nodes (two physical CPUs) should we use 2 worker processes for each application, or perhaps CPU1 for Joomla and CPU2 for Xenforo?

I suggest you can use 2 worker processes for each application. running multiple processes will take up a lot of memory, but two have little effect and can save server resources.

What would be the best configuration for performance and stability?

This is a very abstract question. I cannot answer it. I can only say that there is no best, only better.

Best regards,

Sam

Friday, March 12, 2021 2:10 AM