none
Ruler - Turn on via Registry Key RRS feed

• Question

• Is it possible to turn on the "Ruler" tick box option in the View tab by changing a registry key?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Louis
    Thursday, May 17, 2012 4:32 PM

Answers

• For Word 2010, you can set the Ruler entry in the key HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\14.0\Word\Options to the value 1 to turn it on, or 0 to turn it off. (The value is a REG_DWORD, but it behaves like a boolean.)

This takes effect only when Word is starting up, and it will be overridden by whatever is in the check box when the user closes Word.

There is no similar value for Word 2007; there the Ruler setting is one of many combined into two enormous binary blobs in the Settings and Toolbars entries under HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\12.0\Word\Data.

Jay Freedman
    MS Word MVP  FAQ: http://word.mvps.org

• Marked as answer by LCJ187 Friday, May 18, 2012 8:58 AM
    Thursday, May 17, 2012 8:52 PM

All replies

• For Word 2010, you can set the Ruler entry in the key HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\14.0\Word\Options to the value 1 to turn it on, or 0 to turn it off. (The value is a REG_DWORD, but it behaves like a boolean.)

This takes effect only when Word is starting up, and it will be overridden by whatever is in the check box when the user closes Word.

There is no similar value for Word 2007; there the Ruler setting is one of many combined into two enormous binary blobs in the Settings and Toolbars entries under HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\12.0\Word\Data.

Jay Freedman
    MS Word MVP  FAQ: http://word.mvps.org

• Marked as answer by LCJ187 Friday, May 18, 2012 8:58 AM
    Thursday, May 17, 2012 8:52 PM
  • The registry setting

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\n.0\Word\Options\Ruler

(where n = 14 for Word 2010, n = 12 for Word 2007, n = 11 for Word 2003, n = 10 for Word 2002 and n = 9 for Word 2000)

can be set to 1 to display the ruler when Word starts, or to 0 to hide the ruler when Word starts.

Changing the registry option while Word is running has no immediate effect - the user has to restart Word to see it.

Regards, Hans Vogelaar

Thursday, May 17, 2012 8:57 PM
  • Hi Louis

Could you please explain why you'd want to do this?

Cindy Meister, VSTO/Word MVP

Friday, May 18, 2012 6:56 AM
  • Hi Jay Freedman & Hans Vogelaar,

Thank you both for your replies. This is just what I needed!

Thanks again.

@Cindy Meister - I need this setting turned on for our users when we roll out Word 2010, as when we have previously installed Word 2010, the ruler tick box is not ticked by default.

Louis

Friday, May 18, 2012 8:57 AM
  • Hi Louis

Thanks for the clarification, and I've glad the answers you received solved the problem :-)

In the future, if you need assistance with roll-outs, the better place to ask would be the technet set of forums. They specifically target IT issues, such as Registry settings, the ORK, etc.

The MSDN forums are for developer (programming/coding) issues, so it's a bit of a lottery whether you'll find someone here who can answer questions in the IT area.

Cindy Meister, VSTO/Word MVP

Saturday, May 19, 2012 9:21 AM
  • I tried to do your fix, but "Ruler" doesn't exist as an option for me under that directory in the registry.

Does it make a difference when one is running Windows 8?

It's extremely frustrating not having the ruler on by default. I use the ruler a lot for formatting purposes.

Wednesday, August 28, 2013 2:40 AM